Swim Instructor - Certified
- General Definition of Work
Performs semiskilled work teaching children and adults water safety and swimming basics. Maintains the highest levels of safety during the lesson times, while providing the students with the best lesson experience possible. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Head Swim Instructor, Assistant Aquatic Supervisor and the Aquatic Supervisor.
- Essential Functions
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Instructs swim lessons as assigned, following the progressive teaching procedures of the Blacksburg Aquatic Center, which are based on the guidelines of the American Red Cross Learn-To-Swim Program
- Communicates the importance of safety and enjoyment around an aquatic environment
- Sets up pools before lessons
- Cleans up and properly stores all lesson equipment at the conclusion of each day's lessons
- Communicates with students and parents in the program
- Maintains the highest levels of safety at all times before, after and during lessons
- Assures that all students have proper supervision while in the water and on the deck at all times
- Teaches all lessons from the water using a combination of discussion, demonstration, practice, and feedback
- Insures the timely distribution of middle and end of session evaluations for all students
- Reports any damaged or broken equipment to the Head Swim Instructor or Supervisors immediately
- Communicates any conflicts or challenges with the Learn to Swim Supervisors and works as a team with the other instructors and supervisors to resolve these conflicts on a timely basis
- Supports the supervisors with the swim lesson evaluation program, including timely distribution of evaluations to all students (camp and registered participants)
- Maintains availability for full duration of all scheduled sessions to maintain consistency of the lesson program
- Teaches private lessons as assigned
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to positively interact and communicate with the general public, parents, camp staff, lifeguards and other aquatic staff; establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and operate effectively in a team environment. Requires knowledge of and demonstrated skills in the American Red Cross Learn to Swim Program.
Education and ExperienceHigh School Diploma or GED is required. Must be at least 18 years of age. Previous aquatic experience is required.
First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer required upon hire.
Water Safety Instructor Certification is required upon hire.
- Physical Requirements
This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 25 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force. Work regularly requires walking, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, pulling, lifting and standing for extended periods of time; using hands to finger, handle or feel and repetitive motions; and occasionally requires sitting, climbing or balancing. Work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, to receive detailed information through oral communications and to make fine distinctions in sound. Work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data. Work will be at an indoor aquatic facility and may include exposure to all types of conditions including chlorine or other pool chemicals, heat, blood or other body fluids.
No benefits are available for this position.
01The Parks and Recreation department operates on many different schedules. Therefore, we ask that you share your availability for the position that you applying for. Please check all that apply.
- Monday 530am-10am
- Monday 10am-2pm
- Monday 2pm-10:30pm
- Tuesday 530am-10am
- Tuesday 10am-2pm
- Tuesday 2pm-10:30pm
- Wed 530am-10am
- Wed 10am-2pm
- Wed 2pm-10:30pm
- Thurs 530am-10am
- Thurs 10am-2pm
- Thurs 2pm-10:30pm
- Friday 530am-10am
- Friday 10am-2pm
- Friday 2pm-10:30pm
- Sat 530am-10am
- Sat 10am-2pm
- Sat 2pm-10:30pm
- Sun 530am-10am
- Sun 10am-2pm
- Sun 2pm-10:30pm