This position is responsible for keeping score of scheduled athletic games and programs. A high level of independent judgment is essential for the function of this position and a thorough knowledge of current VHSL rules and regulations for each sport. This position will also perform other related duties and special projects as assigned.
Salary: $15 per game
The Town of Blacksburg is an EEO Employer M/F/D/V
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Keep score for sporting events, games, or competitions
- Keep track of event times, including game times and elapsed time during game segments, starting or stopping play when necessary
- Report to regulating organizations regarding sporting activities, complaints made, and actions taken or needed such as fines or other disciplinary actions
- Confer with other sporting officials, coaches, players, and facility managers in order to provide information, coordinate activities, and discuss problems
- Performs sideline crew duties
Scorekeepers must have good communication skills in order to inform coaches, athletes, and spectators when needed for different time/score events
Scorekeepers must have good vision to view officials, etc., from the sidelines
The ability to cooperate and come to a mutual decision is essential. Must be able to work in a group to keep score of a game
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED required
- Moderate knowledge of officiating sport(s)
Valid driver's license with a satisfactory driving record
Good vision, stamina and the ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
No benefits are available for this position.
Blacksburg, Town of (VA)
300 South Main St
Blacksburg, Virginia, 24060