School Crossing Guard P/T
- General Definition of Work
Under general supervision, assists children and other pedestrians crossing public streets going to and from school; performs related duties as required
- Essential Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Provides quality police services in compliance with State mandates, Town and Departmental policies, procedures and work rules; attends and participates in training programs.
A School Crossing Guard employed by the Town of Blacksburg provides quality customer service by performing essential job functions which include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Providing traffic control as necessary at marked crosswalks on streets at public schools.
- Working with School Safety Patrol members in assisting children to safely cross the street.
- Providing the general public with information regarding Town services.
- Attending and participating in training programs.
- Promoting bicycle and pedestrian safety.
- Maintaining proper relations with school officials, parents and members of the general public.
- Monitoring traffic conditions at school crossings and making requests for police assistance as appropriate.
- Ensuring that signage, flashing signals or other warning devices are properly functioning; reporting malfunctions.
- Reporting motor vehicle violations to police as appropriate; providing court testimony as required.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Ability to deal effectively with the public and maintain a cooperative relationship with school-aged children and Safety Patrol members; ability to safely conduct traffic direction and control.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or G.E.D.; previous responsible and reliable work experience.
Applicant must be able to pass extensive police background check.
Days and Hours of Work
Monday through Friday: 8:15 AM - 9:45 AM and 3:15 PM - 4:45 PM each day
Monday through Friday: 7:30 AM - 9:00 AM
- Physical Requirements
This work requires the frequent standing, speaking or hearing, seeing, use of hand and arm motions. This work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required. Work is outside and requires working in all seasons and weather conditions.
No benefits are available for this position.