Recreation Assistant - WageTown of Blacksburg
Blacksburg, VA Full-time
Posted on September 8, 2019
- General Definition of Work
- Performs intermediate administrative support work registering program participants, answering telephone, greeting citizens, providing information on programs and activities, preparing rooms and gyms, supervising recreational activities, preparing and maintaining files and records, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Assistant Director of Parks & Recreation, with limited oversight from the full-time Recreation Assistants.
- Essential Functions
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Answers telephone; answers questions, takes messages or directs callers to appropriate parties for disposition; greets employees, visitors and the general public; responds to inquiries and provides information on programs, services and activities
- Sets up and breaks down rooms and gyms for recreation activities
- Assists in the supervision of participants within the community center
- Maintains and updates records including program attendance, inventory and basic financial transactions; organizes, maintains and retrieves files, forms, inventories, logs and other documents
- Receives, receipts and accounts for various fees
- Registers and schedules programs and class participants; enters data into computer system
- Maintains automated database with patron information, class schedules, programs, rentals and facility reservations
- Opens and closes facility in accordance with established procedures
- Maintains office and meeting areas; creates and arranges program displays; stocks program supplies and equipment
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of the methods and practices of community recreation work; general knowledge of standard office practices, procedures, equipment and office assistance techniques; general knowledge of one or more phases of community recreation activities; general knowledge of agency programs and policies; general knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic; skill in the use of instruments, tools or other equipment used in recreation programs; skill in the operation of standard office, word processing and data entry equipment; ability to schedule and coordinate a recreation program; ability to provide working leadership to a group of recreation participants; ability to type accurately and at a reasonable rate of speed; ability to make accurate arithmetical calculations; ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, program participants and the general public.
Education and ExperienceHigh school diploma or GED and some experience in customer service and recreation programs, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Must be at least 18 years of age
Possession of Basic First Aid, CPR and AED certifications
- Physical Requirements
- This work requires the regular exertion of up to 10 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 25 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel and reaching with hands and arms, frequently requires standing, walking, sitting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires climbing a ladder while carrying objects up to 25 pounds; climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling and lifting; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, observing general surroundings and activities; work frequently requires exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
The Town of Blacksburg offers a wide range of benefits.
Read more about what we offer here.
01The Parks and Recreation department operates on many different schedules. Therefore, we ask that you share your availability for the position that you applying for. Please check all that apply.
- Monday 530am-10am
- Monday 10am-2pm
- Monday 2pm-10:30pm
- Tuesday 530am-10am
- Tuesday 10am-2pm
- Tuesday 2pm-10:30pm
- Wed 530am-10am
- Wed 10am-2pm
- Wed 2pm-10:30pm
- Thurs 530am-10am
- Thurs 10am-2pm
- Thurs 2pm-10:30pm
- Friday 530am-10am
- Friday 10am-2pm
- Friday 2pm-10:30pm
- Sat 530am-10am
- Sat 10am-2pm
- Sat 2pm-10:30pm
- Sun 530am-10am
- Sun 10am-2pm
- Sun 2pm-10:30pm