Part-Time Human Resource Assistant
- General Definition of Work
The Part-Time Human Resources Assistant provides support to the Human Resources Office by creating and maintaining employee files, both paper and electronically; assisting with answering phones and receiving visitors; and providing administrative support for the Human Resources Office and Town Manager's Office. This position is under the direct supervision of the Senior Human Resources Generalist.
Shift: Monday - Friday 9:30 am - 1:30 pm
(Additional hours as needed)
- Essential Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Answers calls and assists customers who call the Human Resources Office or the Town of Blacksburg main phone line
- Provides exceptional customer service to all customers in-person or via phone
- Files, scans, and shreds employee file information according to the Library of Virginia document retention schedule
- Answers phone lines for the Town Manager’s Office, as needed, specifically during the lunch hour
- Assists with the planning and preparation of special events and projects, as needed
- Provides administrative support to the Human Resources Office
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven, high quality customer relationship (internal and external) skills
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, with specific skills in Adobe for electronic filing and scanning
- Thorough knowledge of standing office practices, procedures, and equipment
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED. Valid commercial driver's license in the Commonwealth of Virginia with a satisfactory driving record
- Physical Requirements
Work Environment: This job primarily operates in a general office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and copiers/fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently interacts with staff, providers, and the general public in person and via telephone and email.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to sit for prolonged periods of time, at a desk, utilizing a computer and reviewing online and paper documents. The employee will also be required to lift and move up to 25 pounds and occasionally life and move up to 50 pounds.
No benefits are available for this position.