Maintenance Specialist III- Utilities
- General Definition of Work
Performs skilled trades work operating a variety of heavy equipment in order to install, maintain and repair water and sewer system in the Town, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Foreman - Utilities.
Shift: April 1st - August 31st Tuesday - Friday 6:30am - 5:00pm
September 1st - March 31st Monday - Friday 7:30am - 4:00pm
- Essential Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operates a variety of heavy equipment including backhoe, excavator, skid steer, and snow removal equipment
- Performs manual labor for water and sewer main installations and water meters
- Performs manual labor removing snow as required
- Install and maintain fire hydrants
- Performs maintenance on a variety of heavy equipment
- Serves as Supervisor in the absence of the Foreman
- On call for after hour emergencies
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of the principles and practices of operating medium to heavy sized equipment and trucks
- General knowledge of the traffic laws and regulations governing equipment operation
- General knowledge of the occupational hazards involved and the safety precautions necessary for the proper operation of equipment
- Skills in the operation and maintenance of the equipment
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written direction
- Ability to make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public
- VDOT Flagger Certification within six months.
- Valid commercial driver's license with Class A endorsement in the Commonwealth of Virginia, or the ability to obtain within six months of hire.
- Trench and Confined Space training within six months
- High school diploma or GED required
- Moderate experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Physical Requirements
This work requires the regular exertion of up to 10 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 50 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 100 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling and repetitive motions, frequently requires standing, sitting, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and lifting and occasionally requires walking and climbing or balancing; work requires close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus, depth perception, color perception, night vision and peripheral vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word and conveying detailed or important instructions to others accurately, loudly or quickly; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires using of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts within arms length, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work regularly requires working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to outdoor weather conditions and exposure to vibration, frequently requires exposure to fumes or airborne particles and occasionally requires exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, exposure to extreme heat (non-weather), exposure to the risk of electrical shock, wearing a self contained breathing apparatus and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a very loud noise location (e.g. jack hammer work, garbage recycle plant).
The Town of Blacksburg offers a wide range of benefits.
Read more about what we offer here.