Maintenance Specialist II - Parks and Athletic Fields
- General Definition of Work
This position will perform skilled and semi-skilled labor in the various aspects of athletic field maintenance including mowing, irrigation, aerifying, field painting, and chemical application. Additional responsibilities related to Town parks to include general playground maintenance, inspection and repair of playground equipment, and mulching of playgrounds. This position will assist with snow removal operations and will be required to operate heavy equipment during Spring and Fall Cleanup collection services.
Shift: Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pmThe Town of Blacksburg is an EEO Employer M/F/D/V
- Essential Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operates specialty turf equipment including reel mowers, infield groomers, and aerators
- Performs infield maintenance on baseball/softball fields including: repairing bases, pitching mounds, batters boxes and transition areas of infield and outfield
- Performs preventative maintenance and repairs on irrigation systems
- Operates backhoes and heavy equipment loaders
- Dump truck and snow plow operation
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
General knowledge of the methods, tools, and equipment used for athletic field maintenance
The ability to safely work in and around the roadway
Skilled in the operation of backhoes, grapple loaders
Ability to operate a dump truck with snow plow during snow removal operations
Education and Experience
A High School diploma or GED certification is required, as well as a minimum of four year’s related experience.
A valid Virginia Commercial Driver’s License – Class B with a satisfactory driving record are required.
- Physical Requirements
- Qualified applicants must possess each of the following: the ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. regularly, the ability to work in a crouched position for extended periods of time, the ability to work outside in varying weather conditions, and the ability to effectively communicate with the public and other employees.
- This work requires the regular exertion of up to 50 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 100 pounds of force and occasional exertion of over 100 pounds of force
- Work regularly requires standing, walking, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions, frequently requires stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and occasionally requires sitting, climbing or balancing and tasting or smelling
- Work has standard vision requirements
- Vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word
- Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels
- Work requires visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities
- Work regularly requires exposure to wet humid conditions (non-weather) and exposure to outdoor weather conditions, frequently requires working near moving mechanical parts and exposure to vibration and occasionally requires working in high, precarious places, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, exposure to extreme cold (non-weather), exposure to extreme heat (non-weather), exposure to the risk of electrical shock, wearing a self-contained breathing apparatus and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment
- Work is generally in a loud noise location (e.g. grounds maintenance, heavy traffic)
The Town of Blacksburg offers a wide range of benefits.
Read more about what we offer here.