Maintenance Specialist Foreman- Parks & Athletics Fields
- General Definition of Work
This is a working supervisor’s position that will oversee activities related to town parks, playgrounds and athletic fields. This position will supervise snow removal activities as required.
Shift: April 1st - August 31st- Monday - Friday 6:30 am - 3:00 pm
September 1st - March 31st - Monday - Friday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
- Essential Functions
The qualified candidate must have the ability to assign work and coordinate work schedules, train crews and evaluate their work performance, ensure that equipment and vehicles are in operable condition, and that crews exercise care and responsibility in their use.
Performs all activities related to athletic field maintenance
Performs all activities related to town parks and playground equipment
Inspects parks equipment to ensure safety compliance
Leads work crews to perform various public works projects in the right of way and on town properties
Supervises field crews during snow removal operations
Schedules equipment for repairs and maintenance
Trains new crewmembers
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, tools and equipment used for athletic field maintenance
- Thorough knowledge of playground safety standards
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to follow written and oral written instructions accurately
- Ability to use a personal computer and tablet with applicable software programs
- Must have the ability to lead multiple crews and handle multiple tasks
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate with contractors, citizens, and volunteers
Education and Experience
- A minimum of five years’ work experience in Public Works, Parks and Recreation, or related area is required for this position.
- Preference will be given to candidates with previous supervisory experience.
- This position requires a high school diploma or GED and valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.
- A Virginia Commercial Pesticide Applicators License within one year of employment.
- NRPA Certified Playground Inspector (CPSI) Certification within one year of employment.
- A Virginia Class B Commercial Driver's license is required within 6 months of employment
- Valid commercial driver's license in the Commonwealth of Virginia with a satisfactory driving record.
- Physical Requirements
This work requires the regular exertion of up to 50 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 100 pounds of force and occasional exertion of over 100 pounds of force; work regularly requires standing, walking, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions, frequently requires stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling and occasionally requires sitting, climbing or balancing and tasting or smelling; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work regularly requires exposure to wet humid conditions (non-weather) and exposure to outdoor weather conditions, frequently requires working near moving mechanical parts and exposure to vibration and occasionally requires working in high, precarious places, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals, exposure to extreme cold (non-weather), exposure to extreme heat (non-weather), exposure to the risk of electrical shock, wearing a self-contained breathing apparatus and exposure to bloodborne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a loud noise location (e.g. grounds maintenance, heavy traffic).
The Town of Blacksburg offers a wide range of benefits.
Read more about what we offer here.