Maintainer - ParksTown of Blacksburg
Blacksburg, VA Full-time
Posted on September 8, 2019
- General Definition of Work
- Performs intermediate manual and semiskilled work maintaining Town grounds, properties, rights-of-way, cemeteries and parks, to include ball fields and playground facilities. Performs park mowing, grounds maintenance, repairing and aerating ball fields, assisting with other projects and related work as apparent or assigned. Operates dump trucks, backhoes, loaders, tractors and other small and medium weight equipment. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Foreman.
- Essential Functions
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Prepares athletic fields for baseball, softball, football, soccer and lacrosse; marks lines on playing fields; reshapes mounds; resets bases; cleans out dugouts; puts up goals
- Performs general maintenance duties, such as mowing; picking up trash along roadways and landscaped areas; weeding, watering, fertilizing and applying pesticides; planting bulbs, flowers, shrubs and trees
- Sets up at multiple locations for various events by setting up tents, tables and chairs; cleaning and restoring the area after events
- Performs general park facility maintenance duties, such as emptying trash containers, sanitizing bathrooms, performing minor plumbing maintenance and painting shelters
- Maintains playground equipment; places mulch around playground equipment; installs new playground equipment
- Assists with snow removal, special events, grave openings, brush collection, leaf collection, Christmas tree collections and Fall and Spring cleanup
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of the tools, materials and equipment used in grounds maintenance work; some knowledge of safety precautions applicable to the duties of the position; ability to operate effectively in a team environment and work independently; ability to interact and communicate with the public, establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates; understand and follow instructions and read basic street and traffic signs; ability to operate mowers, tractors and related machinery and equipment; ability to perform minor mower and small engine repairs; ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time; ability to flag traffic.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED and moderate experience landscaping, maintenance or groundskeeping work, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Special RequirementsA valid Virginia driver's license and a satisfactory driving record at the time of hire.Valid commercial driver's license with Class B classification, or the ability to obtain within six months of hire.
Flaggers License through VDOT.
Registered technician's pesticide certification, or the ability to complete the examination and obtain within six months of hire.
- Physical Requirements
- This work requires the regular exertion of up to 50 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 100 pounds of force; carrying 50 pounds up to 100 feet at a time and 100 pounds up to 25 feet; work frequently standing, walking, sitting, speaking or hearing, using hands to finger, handle or feel, climbing or balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, reaching with hands and arms, tasting or smelling, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions; work has standard vision requirements; no special vocal communication skills are required; no special hearing perception is required; work requires visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts within arm's length, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work regularly requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions and frequently requires working near moving mechanical parts, working in high, precarious places, exposure to extreme cold (non-weather), exposure to extreme heat (non-weather) and exposure to the risk of electrical shock; work is generally in a loud noise location (e.g. grounds maintenance, heavy traffic).
The Town of Blacksburg offers a wide range of benefits.
Read more about what we offer here.