- General Definition of Work
Performs semiskilled work in ensuring the comfort and safety of all Aquatic Center patrons, offering assistance as needed. This includes proactive and reactive responses to daily and emergency situations in and around the pool. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Head Lifeguard, Assistant Aquatic Supervisor and the Aquatic Supervisor.
- Essential Functions
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Monitors activities in swimming pool areas to prevent drowning, injuries or accidents
- Prevents accidents through enforcement of policies, rules and regulations governing the conduct of patrons using the pool and surrounding area
- Remains calm in emergency situations
- Inspects facilities for cleanliness; assists in daily pool, locker room and deck cleaning
- Assists in the maintenance of the swimming pool and monitoring and maintaining the pool filtration system
- Monitors pool water chemistry through testing of water samples, adjust chemistry as needed to maintain standards
- Analyzes and corrects facility hazards
- Assists with opening and closing procedures
- Takes care of equipment and stores equipment properly
- Fills out all necessary paperwork
- Attends and contributes at in-service training sessions and staff meetings on monthly basis
- Reports to work in approved staff clothing
- Performs any and all other job duties assigned such as assisting with camps, special events, front desk, swim lessons, and swim team
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to positively interact and communicate with the general public, establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and operate effectively in a team environment. Requires knowledge of and demonstrated skills in life guarding, CPR and first aid; as well as the ability to learn and adhere to the facility emergency procedures.
Education and Experience:High School Diploma or GED is required. Must be at least 18 years of age. Previous aquatic experience is preferred.Special Requirements:
American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification is required by first day of employment, as well as First Aid and CPR for the Professional Rescuer.
Ability to pass Blacksburg Aquatic Center Lifeguard testing during the interview process. This is a part-time wage position that requires the incumbent work a minimum of 6 hours per week, including evenings, weekends, holidays and split shifts.
- Physical Requirements
This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 50 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 80 pounds of force with assistance. Work regularly requires standing for extended periods of time, frequently sitting, walking, climbing, bending, kneeling, stooping, reaching, pulling and lifting. Occasionally requires tasting or smelling. Work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels, to receive detailed information through oral communications and to make fine distinctions in sound. Work requires visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, using of measuring devices, operating machines, observing general surroundings and activities. Work will be at an indoor aquatic facility and may include exposure to all types of conditions including chlorine or other pool chemicals, heat, blood or other body fluids.
No benefits are available for this position.
01The Parks and Recreation department operates on many different schedules. Therefore, we ask that you share your availability for the position that you applying for. Please check all that apply.
- Monday 530am-10am
- Monday 10am-2pm
- Monday 2pm-10:30pm
- Tuesday 530am-10am
- Tuesday 10am-2pm
- Tuesday 2pm-10:30pm
- Wed 530am-10am
- Wed 10am-2pm
- Wed 2pm-10:30pm
- Thurs 530am-10am
- Thurs 10am-2pm
- Thurs 2pm-10:30pm
- Friday 530am-10am
- Friday 10am-2pm
- Friday 2pm-10:30pm
- Sat 530am-10am
- Sat 10am-2pm
- Sat 2pm-10:30pm
- Sun 530am-10am
- Sun 10am-2pm
- Sun 2pm-10:30pm