Finance Accounting Specialist - Utility
- General Definition of Work
Performs intermediate administrative work providing customer service to utility customers, processing water bills and collecting delinquent payments, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of the Utility Billing Supervisor.
- Essential Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides excellent customer service to Utility billing customers
- Performs and understands all steps for billing of customer accounts
- Performs daily clerical and accounting work associated with maintaining Utility Billing customer accounts including processing direct debt files and returned mail; verifying payments; adjusting accounts for leaks; entering irrigation meter readings and ordering of bills and envelopes
- Processes steps for collection of all accounts
- Processes monthly reports for solid waste records; postage and construction meter deposit; vendor invoice report; maintains the gallons report
- Maintains on-line utility payment and inquiry system, as well as, associated email and correspondences
- Performs work associated with the Land Management, Work Orders, Analytics reporting and Automated Meter Reading systems
- Responsible for assigning services to meter installs
- Attends training as needed
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
General knowledge of personal computer and office automation systems, software and programs
General knowledge of the principles and practices in the preparation of personal computer programs
Skill in the use of software operating systems
Ability to understand and follow written or oral procedures and instructions
Ability to analyze software programs and make program adjustments
Ability to train users of office automation hardware and software systems
Skill in the operation of personal computer equipment
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates
Education and Experience: High school diploma or GED and minimal experience working with the public or equivalent combination of education and experience. Strong customer service skills and experience.
Special Requirements: Fidelity bond required.
Valid driver's license in the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as a satisfactory driving record. NaviLine training within six months of hire.
- Physical Requirements
This work requires the regular exertion of up to 10 pounds of force; work regularly requires sitting, speaking or hearing and repetitive motions and occasionally requires walking; work has standard vision requirements; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels and to receive detailed information through oral communications and/or to make fine distinctions in sound; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data and observing general surroundings and activities; work has no exposure to environmental conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
The Town of Blacksburg offers a wide range of benefits.
Read more about what we offer here.