- General Definition of Work
Performs intermediate manual work in the routine care and cleaning of Town buildings and facilities, and related work as apparent or assigned. Work is performed under the limited supervision of the Facility Operations Supervisor.
- Essential Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Opens building daily; secures building at closing
- Sweeps and vacuums assigned areas, rooms and entry ways; shampoos carpets
- Strips, waxes and buffs floors; mops floors
- Removes trash and recycling sorted materials from buildings and surrounding outside areas
- Scrubs and cleans restrooms including mirrors, wash basins, commodes, etc.; fills tissue, towel and soap dispensers
- Dusts furniture, walls, window sills and other woodwork; cleans and dusts window blinds
- Cleans glass doors and partitions
- Operates buffing machines and other custodial equipment
- Determines and obtains equipment and cleaning supplies as needed; restocks and maintains records on incoming supplies
- Reports building maintenance issues and problems
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
General knowledge of building cleaning practices, supplies, and equipment and ability to use them economically and efficiently; skill in the operation of standard office, word processing and data entry equipment; ability to understand oral and written directions; ability to operate and care for tools and equipment used in the performance of duties; ability to read and write; physical ability to perform heavy manual work; ability to work independently; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and the general public.
Education and Experience
High school diploma or GED and some experience working with cleaning tools and supplies, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Valid driver's license in the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as satisfactory driving record
- Physical Requirements
This work requires the frequent exertion of up to 10 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires standing, walking, using hands to finger, handle or feel and reaching with hands and arms, frequently requires speaking or hearing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires sitting and climbing or balancing; work has standard vision requirements;
vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines, operating motor vehicles or equipment and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires wet, humid conditions (non-weather), working near moving mechanical parts, following safety procedures around standard cleaning chemicals, and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
The Town of Blacksburg offers a wide range of benefits.
Read more about what we offer here.