Art Camp Assistant
- General Definition of Work
The Children's Art Camp Assistant is responsible for planning, implementing, and supervising creative art activities under the direction of the Art Camp Director for children 7 to 14 years of age in a semi structured setting.
Shift: Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm (Summer)The Town of Blacksburg is an EEO Employer M/F/D/V
- Essential Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Helps plan and implements creative weekly art projects for preschool aged children
- Supervises and maintains control of children at all times
- Works directly with the Art Camp Director and Community Programs Supervisor in the purchasing of art and craft supplies through catalog, websites, and local vendors
- Carries out the classes as planned and scheduled for the camps
- Assists in the setup of art projects and the cleanup of art room after each class and store supplies in an organized manner
- Effectively communicates problems, potential hazards, and unsafe conditions to the Community Programs Supervisor or Recreation Admin staff in the event of Community Program Supervisor absence
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have the knowledge and experience to work with young children while introducing them to art in a semi-structured setting
- Must be creative and plan a variety of art projects including different media while teaching how to use colors, shapes, patterns and sizes while encouraging imagination, expression and communication through art
- Must be 18 years old and have a high school diploma or GED certification
- Must have prior experience working with children in a semi-structured and supervised setting
- Previous experience teaching art is preferred
- Physical Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully fulfill and perform the job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk, see, hear, communicate and be able to climb steps. The employee is frequently required to use arms, and hands to write, draw, and cut out craft materials with scissors.
No benefits are available for this position.