Aquatics Summer Camp Assistant
- General Definition of Work
Supervises a group of children in the vast array of Blacksburg Parks and Recreation Summer Camp Programs including, but not limited to – outdoor, athletic, arts and sciences and general summer camp activities. Assists the Program Supervisor with planning and carrying out activities. Works under the direct supervision of the Program Supervisor and the general supervision of the Assistant Parks and Recreation Director and the Parks and Recreation Director.
Shift: Varies depending on availability
- Essential Functions
- Assist with the development and implementation of daily routine, schedule, programming and organizations of all summer camp activities.
- Maintains control and discipline of a group of children at all times and in all location.
- Works closely with the Program Supervisor in implementing scheduled activities.
- Carries out the programs scheduled for summer camp.
- Assists in preparing required reports and forms.
- Prepares areas and locations to in use during summer camp programs; obtains and stores equipment in proper area in an organized manner.
- Enforces all safety rules.
- Upholds and enforces department policies.
- Reports definite as well as potential physical hazards in unsafe conditions of the facility and equipment to the Program Coordinator.
- Effectively communicates problems to the Program Supervisor, Department Program Coordinator and Department staff or others.
- Administers lifesaving and emergency techniques covered by certified training.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
All types of recreational supplies including but not limited to balls, bats, phone, emergency equipment, two-way radio, etc.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
A combination of education, experience and training equivalent to graduation from an accredited high school GED, and two years recreation experience. Must be at least 18 years of age. Completion of a CPR , Standard First Aid, AED courses, or have the ability to obtain training, and any other training scheduled by the department. A valid driver's license with an acceptable driving record.
- Physical Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, talk, see and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands and arms to write, throw, reach and catch. The employee is frequently required to stoop to pick up equipment.
The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to humid and hot conditions of a gymnasium or outdoor weather.
The noise level in the work environment is frequently loud.
No benefits are available for this position.