Youth Surveillance Officer
Roanoke County Roanoke, VA Full-time Law Enforcement / Security
Posted on February 6, 2024
Performs professional human support work supervising adolescents in a community setting. Provides crisis intervention, case management, case documentation, and skills training. Supervises youth on Electronic Monitoring and House Restriction (Alternative Detention). Performs random urine screens on youth and testifies during court proceedings. Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides on-call service for crisis response 24 hours a day
- Participates in a weekly on call rotation that can require after hours work and weekend work
- Supervises juveniles at the community level, enforcing the rules of the program and other judicial orders. Monitors compliance through home, work and school visits as well as appropriate community contacts.
- Prepares and maintains accurate and up-to-date written accounts of services and interaction with clients, service, treatment providers and school personnel.
- Provides written court reports concerning the youth's progress and testifies before the court as needed
- Participates as a team member in developing and addressing treatment goals for the youth and families.
- Demonstrates ability to work effectively with others to achieve common case goals.
- Demonstrates an ability to de-escalate situations involving youth and their family.
- Participates in all mandatory and necessary training to enhance skills and knowledge.
Required: High School graduate or equivalent.
Preferred: Associate's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in behavioral science, social work, counseling, psychology, or criminal justice.
Required: Two (2) years of experience in the human service field specifically related to adolescents and families.
Required: Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge of youth and family relationships, the juvenile justice system, and other community services for juvenile offenders.
- Ability to write and speak clearly and effectively.
- Ability to provide testimony in court supported by appropriate documentation.
- Ability to enforce program policies and procedures.
- Ability to work effectively under stressful circumstances.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with other community agencies.
Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass and drug screening. Immediately upon employment, must complete the following training: CPR, First Aid (tri-annually), OSHA & Blood Pathogens.
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership
County of Roanoke Virginia
5204 Bernard Drive
Roanoke, Virginia, 24018