Youth Services Program Support Specialist
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs difficult administrative support functions for the Roanoke County Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department. Assists with program planning and implementing purposeful recreation activities. Completes administrative forms, budget sheets, program documentation and standard reports. Performs other duties as required.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists in the development of purposeful program plans for recreation programs for preschool, youth, and adults.
- Participates in the evaluation of participant goals to ensure programs are meeting participants needs
- Works to ensure program goals are being met
- Uses the PerfectMind software system to register participants for programs, enter programs, and access information needed for customer services
- Maintains financial information to track budgets and maintain cost effectiveness of programs
- Purchases and maintains supplies for programs
- Enters and maintains participant information
- Attends Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Department meetings
- Attends Roanoke County HR trainings as needed
- Communicates with parents, care providers, guardians and participants related to program issues.
- EducationRequired: Education equivalent to graduation from high school supplemented by college courses in recreation, psychology, education or a related field.Preferred: Associates Degree in Recreation or related field.ExperienceRequired: Considerable experience in administrative support and working with youth. Education may be substituted for equivalent experience.Certifications/ LicensesMust possess a valid Virginia driver's license and have a good driving recordKnowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsSubject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.SupervisoryResponsibilitiesMay direct the work of part time staff
- Comprehensive knowledge of administrative and office procedures
- Comprehensive knowledge of Recreation programming
- Ability to constructively participate in the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of recreation programs
- Ability to complete objective documentation
- Ability to create appropriate goals and objectives for participants and programs
- Ability to direct the activities of other employees
- Ability to gather, organize and report information
- Ability to work in a demanding work environment requiring teamwork
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Ability to follow operating procedures and maintain confidentiality
- Skill and proficiency in the use of computer hardware and software suchas Microsoft programs: Excel, Word, Publisher, and Power Point
- OTHER INFORMATION
- OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMANDLIGHTLift and/or exert force up to 20 lbs. occasionally, 10 lbs frequently, or insignificant amounts constantly OR requires walking or standing to a significant degree.PHYSICAL DEMANDSC = Continuously5.5 to 8+ hours dailyF = Frequently2.5 to 5.5 hours dailyO = OccasionallyUp to 2.5 hours dailyR = RarelyLess than 1 hour per weekN = NeverNever occursCodePhysical DemandCodePhysical DemandOStandingFSittingOWalkingOLiftingOCarryingRPushing/PullingFReachingFHandlingCFine DexterityRKneelingOCrouchingRCrawlingOBendingRTwistingRClimbingRBalancingCVision (Correction Required)CHearingFTalkingOFoot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc)ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORSD = DailyW = Several Times Per WeekM = Several Times Per MonthS = SeasonallyR - RarelyN = NeverCodeHealth and SafetyCodeEnvironmental FactorsNMechanical HazardsRDirt and DustNChemical HazardsSExtreme TemperaturesNElectrical HazardsRNoise and VibrationNFire HazardsRFumes and OdorsNExplosivesRWetness/HumidityRCommunicable DiseasesRDarkness or Poor LightingRPhysical Danger or AbuseOther (specify)PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONRecreation Center, SchoolsMACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDSComputer, copier, telephone and other standard office equipment and equipment required in recreation activitiesPROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREDN/A
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.