Treasurer Clerk II (Open Until Filled)
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs difficult skilled clerical and technical work involving the collection and posting of taxes, fees and other revenues, which requires knowledge in either cashiering and payment processing and (or), bookkeeping and account reconciliation. This position works directly with public in collecting periodic payments, answering phones, maintaining complex financial records, and generating revenue and posting reports for various departments and other associated Governmental institutions. All work is subject to review by the Treasurer or senior personnel. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Collects and codes a variety of data for processing
- Receives and records all personal property, real estate, and delinquent tax payments
- Processes all additional miscellaneous revenues, such as animal license and parking tickets
- Collects and records periodic payments for State income tax, and estimated income tax
- Processes delinquent pursuit actions, including distress, prosecution, and penalty letters
- Serves as an internal control offset for financial transactions within the department
- Verifies cashier totals for general ledger posting
- Checks, balances, and reconciles financial records between receivables and general ledger
- Compiles data and prepares reports for management on financial transactions
- Maintains accurate supporting backup documentation on financial transactions
- Checks, balances and post journal entries for various sub accounts for county revenues
- Operates a variety of office equipment, including cashiering, and collection software
- Performs more general secretarial duties or special project assistance as required.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent supplemented by business school, college level courses or training in bookkeeping and accounting OR any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Preferred: Associate or Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business, or related field.
Required: A combination of education and experience in accounting or finance equal to a degree
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
- Considerable knowledge of cash handling techniques, taxation terminology, office clerical techniques, computer utilization.
- Proficient customer service and communication skills
- Thorough knowledge and working capabilities with spreadsheet creation and utilization
- General knowledge of bookkeeping protocols and basic governmental taxation
- Ability to post financial transactions with speed and accuracy
- Ability to maintain complex financial records, and generate corresponding supporting reports and documents.
- Ability to perform arithmetical computations quickly and accurately
- Proficient 10-key capabilities.
Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership