Treasurer Clerk I (Open Until Filled)
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
- Performs responsible clerical and technical work involving the collection and adjustment of taxes and fees and requiring cashiering and bookkeeping duties. Works directly with the public in collecting and properly accounting for taxes and fees for the County. Work is subject to review by the Treasurer or by senior clerical personnel. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Serves as cashier; collects money for taxes, decals, licenses, permits, tickets, set off debt, invoices and animal licenses.
- Receives and processes payments from incoming mail.
- Answers inquiries from the public concerning taxes, payments, penalties and collections.
- Researches returned mail for proper addresses.
- Balances books and prepares daily cash reports.
- Calculates penalties and interest on delinquent accounts.
- Operates a variety of office equipment, including a computer, Computerized Cashiering System and other information processing equipment.
- Maintains accurate files
- Performs secretarial duties as required
?Required: High school diploma or equivalent supplemented by courses or training in Accounting and Bookkeeping.
Preferred: Experience involving clerical accounting duties and dealing with the public.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge of standard office terminology, procedures, equipment and clerical techniques; and of bookkeeping, general accounting principles and basic tax procedures.
- Ability to maintain files; make mathematical computations with speed and accuracy; and to collect and record money transactions with proficient 10-key ability.
- Ability to provide customer service activities in an efficient manner.
?Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership