- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs complex professional and administrative work relative to the planning, organizing, marketing and managing of tourism related special programs and events in Roanoke County. General marketing duties are a central duty for the position, including social media delivery, responding to media inquiries and website updates. Serves as the Roanoke County liaison with various local, regional and statewide tourism and event entities including regional DMOs
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Manage, develop and maintain all aspects of operations for a select group of County-sponsored events and programs.
- Assist with the coordination of County co-sponsored events and programs.
- Plans, assigns and manages assigned event staff.
- Prepares and manages budgets, reports and publications.
- Directs and supervises the development of a comprehensive tourism and marketing plan for the area.
- Performs public relations activities through speeches, news releases and media interviews.
- Must be available to work flexible schedule including evenings and weekends.
- Works with area attractions, chambers of commerce, other parks and recreation departments, and regional DMO’s to develop partnerships and events that encourage tourism.
- Represent the department at trade shows, venues and associations for the purpose of bringing events to the area.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in recreation administration, tourism, public administration or a related field.
Required: Two (2) or more years of experience in tourism, special event management, or a related field, including experience in a responsible supervisory position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, materials and requirements of a variety of tourism development and limited special events activities;
- Thorough knowledge of tourism marketing principles;
- General knowledge of the philosophy and objectives of tourism development;
- Ability to develop advertising and marketing campaigns;
- Ability to adhere to program standards and objectives outlined, and to lead volunteers and partner groups in tourism activities;
- Ability to develop and recruit partners;
- Ability to attract positive media coverage of the County and its assets;
- Ability to develop partnerships amongst various citizen and governmental groups;
- Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the public;
- Ability to organize and meet reporting requirements for complex activities;
- Ability to utilize office software and email including web site maintenance.
Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership