Therapeutic Recreation Programmer
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs professional work planning, organizing, implementing and directing therapeutic recreational programs and activities designed for adults and children with visual impairments, cognitive or intellectual disabilities, head injury related disabilities or psychiatric disabilities in a community based recreation setting. Performs a variety of routine duties. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Plans, actively facilitates and evaluates therapeutic recreation programs and classes at recreation centers, parks or various facilities in the community on a semester basis for a specific population area.
- Registers participants in classes and programs using CLASS registration software, and maintains computer class registrations.
- Supervises therapeutic recreation support staff, instructors and volunteers.
- Works with individuals with disabilities in the program to provide support as needed.
- Supervises interns according to National Council of Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) guidelines.
- Procures and maintains for equipment, supplies and materials.
- Assists in the development, planning and promotion of Therapeutic Recreation special events, programs and activities.
- Prepares reports and statistics as needed.
- Performs a variety of routine clerical tasks.
- Drives a van to transport program participants and operates a wheelchair lift.
- EducationRequired: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in therapeutic recreation or a related field.ExperienceRequired: Experience working with individuals with developmental disabilitiesCertifications/ LicensesRequired: Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS). Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsMay be required to use personal vehicle at times (with mileage reimbursement provided). Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination.Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.SupervisoryResponsibilitiesSupervision is exercised over large part-time paraprofessional and clerical staff.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with support staff, coworkers and activity participants.
- Ability to develop and implement therapeutic recreation programs for specific populations.
- General knowledge of basic accounting practices;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Skill in the operation of a personal computer and familiarity with Microsoft programs
- OTHER INFORMATION
- OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMANDMEDIUMLift and/or exert force of 20-50 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. frequently, or up to 10 lbs. constantly.PHYSICAL DEMANDSC = Continuously5.5 to 8+ hours dailyF = Frequently2.5 to 5.5 hours dailyO = OccasionallyUp to 2.5 hours dailyR = RarelyLess than 1 hour per weekN = NeverNever occursCodePhysical DemandCodePhysical DemandOStandingCSittingFWalkingOLiftingOCarrying2RPushing/PullingRReachingRHandlingCFine DexterityRKneelingRCrouchingNCrawlingRBendingRTwistingRClimbingNBalancingCVision (Correction Required: Yes)CHearingCTalkingNFoot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc.)ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORSD = DailyW = Several Times Per WeekM = Several Times Per MonthS = SeasonallyR - RarelyN = NeverCodeHealth and SafetyCodeEnvironmental FactorsRMechanical HazardsMDirt and DustNChemical HazardsRExtreme TemperaturesNElectrical HazardsRNoise and VibrationNFire HazardsNFumes and OdorsNExplosivesRWetness/HumidityMCommunicable DiseasesRDarkness or Poor LightingRPhysical Danger or AbuseOther (specify)PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONOffice EnvironmentMACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDSStandard office equipment, Microsoft Office Site, TTY, Braille embosser, wheelchairs, van wheelchair lift and tie downs.PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREDNone
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership