Therapeutic Recreation Program Supervisor (Brambleton Center)
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs difficult professional work in Therapeutic Recreation planning, developing, implementation, evaluation and supervising specialized therapeutic recreational activities, programs, and classes, for adults and children with disabilities. Supervision is exercised over Recreation Programmers, Program Support Specialists and Program Aides. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Plans, organizes, implements, and evaluates therapeutic recreational programs. Supervises full and part-time staff, interns and volunteers
- Meets with local organizations and businesses to develop partnerships.
- Responsible for maintaining records and developing reports for year-end executive summaries.
- Prepares and manages budgets.
- Works with marketing staff to prepare marketing and promotional materials.
- Meets with civic and other community groups.
- Schedules and organizes activities and part time staff schedules.
- Registers activity participants.
- Interacts with other departments, agencies and boards.
- Provides training for volunteers and staff.
- Interviews and recommends hiring of full-time and part-time employees.
- Keeps records, program documentation and prepares reports of activities.
- Responsible for bookkeeping, maintaining purchasing documentation, and payrolls of program area.
- Checks, maintains, and cares for equipment, supplies and materials.
- Maintains proper decorum among activity participants, staff, volunteers and interns.
- Instructs employees under their supervision on accepted safety practices for participants in a therapeutic recreation setting.
- Responsible for managing summer day camp for youth with disabilities.
- Performs assessments for youth and adults with disabilities.
Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in therapeutic recreation/recreation therapy or a related field.
Required: Three (3) years experience in therapeutic recreation programming
Preferred: One (1) year of experience in Recreation Administration.
Required: Must possess a valid Virginia driver's license and have a good driving record.
Preferred: Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS); First Aid/CPR
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of therapeutic recreation programming practices and principles.
- General knowledge of community therapeutic recreational needs.
- Experience and skill in working with individuals with development disabilities, head injury related disabilities, visual impairments or psychiatric disabilities.
- Thorough knowledge of office procedures.
- Ability to plan, schedule and coordinate recreation programs the therapeutic recreation process; plan and supervise the work of others; develop and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and with activity participants; and communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to effectively use typical and specialized computer software.
- Ability to learn new software programs as needed.
Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and some holidays, as needed.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership