Technology Services Coordinator
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Supports the mission of the Library by providing technical support, and administration and maintenance of the department’s technology systems and equipment. Serves as the department’s primary contact for technology services and works closely with library staff in a collaborative effort to offer exemplary support. Performs public service duties and other work as required.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Configures, tests, installs, maintains, troubleshoots, repairs, and properly decommissions computers, software, and other equipment, in all six locations of the Roanoke County Public Library system, ensuring compatibility and compliance with Roanoke County policies and network. Communicates effectively with vendors and technicians for external repairs, coordinates repairs with vendors and staff, and performs follow-ups.
- Performs on-call technology help desk duties for Library staff and patrons, routing user questions to other areas as appropriate, ensuring connectivity of resources and work stations on a scaled priority basis. Communicates effectively with staff and patrons on work order requests, including follow-up status and resolutions, and ensures essential information is delivered quickly to appropriate staff.
- Thoroughly documents issues, solutions, and other hardware and software records using county ticketing process.
- Gathers and reports technology usage and other data on an ongoing basis.
- Collaborates with library staff to support technology programs. Creates, maintains, and updates training guides and documentation of computer procedures including technical support data.
- Maintains and supports CommIT in maintaining inventory of computer hardware and software.
- Maintains an up-to-date and complete inventory of all departmental technology items.
Required: High school diploma or G.E.D.
Preferred: Associates/technical degree, or Bachelor’s degree in related field, or MLS or related degree, or coursework in Library Science.
Required: One (1) or more years of related experience.
Preferred: Previous public service, customer service, or training/teaching experience.
Required: Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record.
Preferred: Windows OS Fundamentals, A+ or similar training
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of technology hardware, software, internal and external networks, Windows and Apple operating system.
- Strong ability to research and learn new technologies and processes, present ideas, and implements solutions.
- Strong ability to use independent judgement, be self-motivated, and manage and prioritize multiple tasks and assignments in a customer-focused environment
- Strong ability to take initiative and be committed to improvement
- General knowledge of inventory and distribution procedures
- Knowledge concerning internet access and website maintenance
- Ability to diagnose and repair computers, printers, and other devices
- Ability to diagnose and report problems with communications and networking equipment and software
- Ability to install hardware, software and troubleshoot common problems
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to plan and implement training programs for various types of users
- Ability to work in a professional environment effectively and cooperatively in complex relationships with the staff, service partners, vendors and the public
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership