Stormwater Inspector (Open Until Filled)
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs erosion and sediment control/stormwater management inspections of active construction sites to determine compliance with state and local laws, regulations, and ordinances. Prepares coordinating inspection reports, and assists with enforcement actions. Conducts post-construction stormwater management facility inspections and assists with enforcement. Conducts illicit discharge inspections, outfall inspections for dry weather screening, and business inspections as part of the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) Program/Permit. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Inspects, reviews and consults with Stormwater Inspector II or Stormwater Program Manager regarding permitted sites to determine compliance with state and local erosion and sediment control/stormwater laws.
- Completes reports using Cityworks and submits them by mail or email to responsible parties to communicate inspection results.
- Suggests need for enforcement actions.
- Communicates with contractors, developers, and/or property owners to provide technical information on state and local laws.
- Fields complaints or concerns from contractors/developers/citizens about erosion and sediment control and stormwater management program requirements.
- Works with the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality to bring problematic sites into compliance with stormwater/erosion and sediment control regulations.
- Provides information regarding compliance and enforcement activities at permitted sites to department management and County administration.
- Inspects information regarding discharge complaints and conducts source tracking to locate problems per the MS4 permit requirements. Conducts outfall inspections for dry weather screening program per MS4 permit requirements.
- Conducts business inspections to remain in compliance with County’s MS4 Program Plan and MS4 permit requirements.
- Conducts inspections of post-construction stormwater best management practices to ensure BMPs in the County remain in compliance.
- Conducts recordkeeping.
Required: A bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, water resources, environmental sciences, or a related field.
Preferred: A bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with an emphasis in hydrology and hydraulics.
Preferred: One or more years of experience in conducting stormwater management and erosion and sediment control inspections on active construction sites and in reading and interpreting engineering plans/drawings.
Required: Valid Virginia driver's license with a good driving record. Within one year of employment, must obtain:
- DEQ-certified Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector.
- DEQ-certified Stormwater Management Inspector.
Preferred: DEQ-certification as an Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector and a Stormwater Management Inspector
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough understanding of the Virginia Erosion & Sediment Control and Stormwater Management Programs, including the Construction General Permit.
- Understanding of design standards and specifications associated with stormwater management practices and erosion and sediment controls.
- Ability to provide written communication in a clear and articulate manner.
- Ability to verbally communicate in a clear and confident manner while under pressure and to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to tolerate criticism from contractors, developers, and citizens who are unhappy with laws/regulations.
- Ability to spend large portions of the day walking outside under all weather conditions.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to read and interpret engineering plans, especially as they relate to erosion & sediment control and stormwater management.
- Ability to prepare written reports, letters, and other correspondence.
- Ability to use Cityworks, GIS programs, Microsoft Word/Excel, etc.
- Ability to understand basic civil engineering principles, especially hydrology and hydraulics.
- Ability to analyze and resolve field problems.
- Ability to keep accurate records.
Subject to a complete criminal background search with acceptable history results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership