Sports Instructor - Basketball/Soccer
Roanoke County Roanoke, VA Full-time Education
Posted on May 13, 2022
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
- Serves as an instructor on a seasonal/occasional, contractual or hourly basis. Maintains a safe and controlled atmosphere to ensure a high quality program that meets the standards of the department. Leads a series of recreation programs in diverse areas with minimal supervision. Duties are performed under the direct supervision of the Recreation staff. Performs other duties as assigned.
Candidates with experience playing and/or instructing basketball or soccer preferred.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Teaches group classes for designated subject or program.
- Ensures that all the participants in the class are engaged in the class and that the class abides by established standards.
- Motivates all class participants to accomplish their goals and keep coming to the classes.
- Interacts spontaneously with members, guests, and center staff at any given time in the facility to model a personal and inviting atmosphere for the facility.
- Stays current on recreation trends and how they may influence or affect assigned programming area.
- Starts and ends classes on time and returns all equipment to proper location.
- Recommends new and/or replacement equipment for areas.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with employees, contractors, customers, and the general public.
- Fosters a team environment through daily work habits and a positive attitude.
- Actively participate in meetings to keep informed of facility issues and information.
- EducationRequired: Education or training in the assigned area of programming and instruction.ExperienceRequired: Some experience in teaching/instructing groups.Preferred: Three (3) or more years of experience teaching/instructing classes.Certifications/LicensesPreferred: Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.Current CPR, First Aid, and AED certification.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsSubject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Good physical condition. Following a conditional offer of employment, may be required to pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and some holidays. Minimum age 16.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of group instruction.
- Knowledge of community recreation program needs.Ability to plan, schedule and coordinate group recreation classes.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with employees, customers and the general public.
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing, to wide variety of staff and customers.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.