Senior Library Assistant - Circulation Supervisor, South County Library
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs a variety of responsible paraprofessional duties, including the delivery of advanced library services, including programming in assigned area. Supervises activities of other paraprofessionals and part-time staff, manages operations in a branch or unit, does related work as required. Highly developed skills, knowledge, and technical ability may be utilized within narrowly defined areas of expertise, such as reference, automation, children’s services, etc. A broad base of general knowledge of literature and nonfiction and/or a thorough knowledge of a subject area or areas is needed for the advanced delivery of services. Pronounced proficiency in standard library techniques is required. Performs any or all of the tasks of a Library Assistant.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Supervises and coordinates the daily operation of a branch library; serves as administrative coordinator for a facility; assumes responsibility for operation of a unit in the absence of professional staff
• Routinely supervises library personnel; directs daily activities; actively participates in the evaluation, development, and training of staff
• Monitors operations for quality assurance
• Assists in the development of system-wide and local goals and objectives; actively participates in operation review, program assessment, and policy formulation
• Utilizes judgment and knowledge to solve operational and service problems or resolve conflicts; interprets and applies policy
• Participates in team projects, assuming a leadership role as required
• Develops service enhancements
• Participates in collection development; shares responsibility for achieving collection development objectives for branch and/or department
• Maintains a variety of resources; prepares reports provides monthly and annual reports of circulation activity
• Recruits, trains, and supervises volunteers
• Gathers statistics and prepares reports.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with employees, vendors, colleagues from other county departments, customers, and the public.
• Assists with system wide and unit projects.
Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
Preferred: Some training in Library Science
Required: Progressively responsible experience in office administration, budget development, and customer service.
Preferred: Some library experience
Must possess a valid Virginia Driver’s License and have a good driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Ability to resolve public concerns and difficulties with tact, courtesy, and good judgment
• Outstanding human relations skills; ability to interact successfully with patrons of all ages
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions in the performance of routine tasks
• Ability to perform standard reference research and reader’s advisory work
• Advanced knowledge of literature and nonfiction subject areas and other materials of interest to the public
• Ability to develop a working knowledge of automated systems and related appropriate databases
• Ability to assume primary operational responsibility for various functions, divisions, and facilities on a routine basis
• Ability to direct the activities of subordinate staff
Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work-related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Evening and weekend work may be required.
May provide direction to full- and part-time staff
Recruits, trains and supervises volunteers
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership