- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs professional work assisting with the management of operations and the delivery of programs and events of Explore Park. Supervision is exercised over part-time employees involved in the day-to-day operations, programs and events of the park. Does related work as required.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists with the development of a comprehensive slate of outdoor recreation programs at Explore Park by identifying the needs of the community and developing cost effective programs at industry standards in order to fulfill the mission and financial goals of the agency.
- Assists with both public and private special events at Explore Park by coordinating requested use and assisting with the setup/take down and general operations of the event to ensure a successful special event.
- Assists with daily operations of the Explore Park Visitor Center by ensuring frontline staff have the knowledge and equipment to process registration and reservation payments and refunds as well as determine customer service solutions in order to provide a quality experience to guests.
- Assist with the daily operations of Tree Top Quest by ensuring staff understand and follow established guidelines and protocols in order to ensure a safe experience by guests.
- In absence of more senior staff, supervises a quality and trained work force of 15 to 75 part-time employees (depending on season) at Explore Park including assisting with recruiting, training and coaching team members in order to staff seasonal and year-round attractions, program and events.
- Conducts monthly trail inspections and perform necessary light maintenance/upkeep as necessary in order to ensure Explore Park trails are open and safe to guests.
Required: High School Degree, or equivalent
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in recreation or related field, or equivalent experience and education.
Required: One (1) year experience in recreation programming and supervision.
Preferred: Three (3) or more years of recreation experience.
Preferred: Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record.
Current CPR, First Aid and AED certification or ability to obtain
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge of recreation program development and delivery.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others and recognize whether standards are met.
- Knowledge of best practices in applicable outdoor pursuits and ability to instruct same.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to a diverse group staff and customers.
- Awareness of risk management issues related to outdoor recreation services.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate programs against established objectives.
- Ability to work outdoors in a wide range of environments including rain, snow, wind, cold, and heat.
- Ability to work independently as well as within team.
Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and some holidays.
Assists with the supervision of a large part time staff
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership