Recreation Program Supervisor
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs difficult professional work in a specific program or service discipline planning, developing and supervising specialized recreational activities, programs, and classes, based upon survey data collected from citizens of Roanoke County. Supervision is exercised over Recreation Programmers, Recreation Technicians and Facility Attendants. Performs other duties as assigned.
This position will oversee the general recreation and rental programs of Green Ridge Recreation Center and will also serve as the evening manager on duty. Some weekends and holidays may be required. The following is the anticipated work schedule:
Monday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Thursday 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Plans, organizes, implements, and evaluates recreational programs in a specific program discipline. Examples are Adult Leisure Services, Athletics, Teen Services, Outdoor Education, Childcare and Youth Services.
- Meets with local organizations and businesses to develop partnerships.
- Prepares budgets for program areas.
- Works with marketing staff to prepare marketing and promotional materials.
- Meets with civic and other community groups.
- Schedules and organizes activities.
- Registers activity participants.
- Interacts with other departments, agencies and boards.
- Provides training for volunteers and staff.
- Interviews and recommends hiring of employees.
- Keeps records and prepares reports of activities.
- Responsible for bookkeeping and payrolls of program area.
- Checks and cares for supplies and materials.
- Maintains proper decorum among activity participants.
- Supervises full and part-time staff.
- Instructs employees under their supervision on accepted safety practices for participants in the various recreational programs sponsored by the County.
- EducationRequired: Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in recreation.ExperienceRequired: Three (3) years experience in recreation programming.Preferred: One (1) year of experience in Recreation Administration.Certifications/LicensesRequired: Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsSubject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Good physical condition. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.Supervisory ResponsibilitiesYes
- Thorough knowledge of recreation programming practices.
- General knowledge of community recreational needs.
- Knowledge of office procedures.
- Ability to plan, schedule and coordinate recreation programs; plan and supervise the work of others; develop and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and with activity participants; and communicate effectively orally and in writing
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership