Public Information Specialist
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Public Information Specialist assists with functions of the Public Information Office which include internal and external communications; special projects and initiatives; citizen engagement; and the County’s online communications presence. Writes content for internal and external publications. Coordinates media relations activities. Collaborates with the Public Information Officer to assist County Administration and departments with additional communications support. Provides excellent written and oral communications.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Researches, prepares, and writes news releases, official statements, scripts, speeches, presentations, and other materials that describe the work of Roanoke County.
- Coordinates planning for County initiatives, such as citizen surveys and the Community Strategic Plan.
- Responsible for new avenues to reach stakeholders through various communication platforms, including social media, blogs and videos.
- Provides content for the County's communications channels.
- Develops various social media campaigns around ongoing County projects and needs.
- Interacts with media representatives and coordinates interviews with staff.
- Writes content for internal and external publications.
- Works with RVTV-3, the County’s government access television station, to produce public service announcements and videos that promote the work of the County.
- Supports community engagement activities.
- Works with departments to research and prepare submissions for awards programs.
- Supports County events, including press conferences and ribbon cuttings.
- Maintains news clipping service.
- Serves as an alternate to manage portions of the County’s website.
- Performs other related duties.
Education Required: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in public relations, communications, journalism, or related field, and 2-3 years of work experience; or, any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Required: Strong written, oral and visual communications skills. Experience with utilizing online communications platforms to interact with target audiences.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of policies, processes and procedures related to communications and public information.
- Demonstrated writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Knowledge of effective online communications platforms.
- Understanding of effective graphic design.
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Experience with website development is a plus.
- Understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Good analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Have a positive and professional attitude with citizens, employees and elected officials.
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of Roanoke County.
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational skills, multi-tasking and prioritizing tasks.
- Ability to work either with a team or alone.
- Self-motivated, personable and keen attention to detail.
Additional Requirements Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership