Program Support Specialist- OutdoorsRoanoke County
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs outdoor program support functions for the Roanoke County Parks, Recreation and Tourism Department. Assists with program planning and implementing purposeful outdoor recreation activities. Completes program documentation, standard reports, equipment inspections, participant transportation when needed, gear maintenance and trip leading. Performs other duties as required.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assists in the development and implementation of purposeful program plans for recreation programs for preschool, youth, and adults at multiple ROCO facilities and parks.
- Participates in the evaluation of participant goals to ensure programs are meeting participant's needs.
- Works to ensure program goals are being met.
- Leads outdoor recreation programs at multiple locations throughout Southwest Virginia and the surrounding region.
- Purchases and maintains supplies for programs.
- Attends trainings as required.
- Communicates with parents, care providers, guardians and participants related to program
- issues with guidance from programmers/supervisors and managers.
- Communicates with parents, care providers, guardians and participants related to program issues with guidance from programmers/supervisors and managers.
Required: Education equivalent to graduation from high school supplemented by college courses in recreation, psychology, education or a related field.
Preferred: Associates Degree in Recreation or related field.
Required: Considerable experience in outdoor programming and working with youth and adults. Education may be substituted for equivalent experience.
Required: Must possess a valid Virginia driver's license and have a good driving record. First Aid/CPR/AED, or ability to obtain.
Preferred: Lifeguarding; Swift Water Rescue; American Canoe/Kayak Instructor; Wilderness First Responder; Wilderness First Aid; Ropes Course/Facilitation; Leave No Trace.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Comprehensive knowledge of outdoor programming risk management standards, equipment and gear maintenance.
• Comprehensive knowledge of Recreation programming
• Ability to constructively participate in the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of recreation programs
• Ability to complete objective documentation
• Ability to create appropriate goals and objectives for participants and programs
• Ability to direct the activities of other employees
• Ability to gather, organize and report information
• Ability to work in a demanding work environment requiring teamwork
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Ability to follow operating procedures and maintain confidentiality
Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
May direct the work of part time staff
- OTHER INFORMATION
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.