Paramedic- Non Fire- Part timeRoanoke County
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs responsible protective services work responding to calls involving rescue and advanced life support by using advanced emergency life support and stabilization procedures at the scene of an accident or illness and during transport to medical facilities. Provides rescue training; drives and operates rescue vehicles; assists in the maintenance and repair of stations and equipment. Supervises rescue unit on call. Must work well with the other emergency services and fire personnel often under hazardous and stressful conditions, responding promptly to directions given by the on-site supervisor. Performs other duties as assigned. This is a non-fire suppression position
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Works at stations responding to calls for emergency assistance, acting as supervisor of the rescue unit on call.
- Provides emergency medical services using advanced emergency life support and stabilization procedures at the scene of the accident or illness and during transport to medical facilities.
- Performs rescue from life-threatening situations and assists in the protection of the property.
- Drives and operates equipment on emergency vehicles, including the replenishing of supplies and required vehicle maintenance following a call.
- Prepares and maintains records and reports on emergency responses and patient responses, including legal accountability.
- Through continuing training, keeps informed of the latest techniques in advanced life support.
- Provides emergency medical services training to schools, organizations and the public as requested.
- Monitors health, safety and the physical condition of personnel at fires or other hazardous sites.
- Operates medical radio equipment.
- Assists in routine maintenance of building and grounds at assigned stations.
- Must adhere to all applicable Roanoke County and Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department policies and procedures.
- Assists in routine maintenance of building and grounds at assigned stations
- Provides emergency medical services training to schools, organizations and the public as requested
- EducationRequired: High school diploma or equivalent.ExperiencePreferred: Emergency medical services.Certifications/ LicensesRequired: Must possess a valid Virginia driver's license, have a good driving record, and comply with state regulations covering drivers of emergency vehicles. Must have current EMT-Intermediate or EMT-Paramedic certification from the Virginia Department of Health, Office of EMS. Must acquire and maintain Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Basic Trauma Life Support (BTLS) or Pre-hospital Life Support (PHTLS) and Pediatric Education for the Prehospital Professional (PEPP) certifications. Must successfully complete Roanoke County Fire/Rescue medical program before serving as ambulance ALS attendant.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsMust be twenty-one (21) years of age or older; successfully complete a physical agility test; and be in excellent physical condition and maintain good physical fitness standards. Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.Supervisory ResponsibilitiesMay supervise subordinate staff
- Extensive knowledge of emergency medical care and advanced life support techniques.
- Knowledge of the geographical layout of the County, including the street and road network.
- Ability to supervise other emergency medical services personnel, often under hazardous or stressful conditions; manage major emergency medical services incidents making appropriate decisions with regard to patient care; work well with others; follow oral and written instructions; keep complex incident reports; accept orders from telemetry radio personnel; and to have an aptitude for mechanical work.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.