Motor Equipment Operator I or II (Open Until Filled)
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
This posting is for the fulfillment of two Motor Equipment Operators. One is classified as Regular Full-time and the other is classified as Temporary Full-time. This position will be filled as either a Motor Equipment Operator I or II contingent on the selected candidates work experience, knowledge, skills, abilities, and qualifications.
Motor Equipment Operator I General Statement of Duties:
Performs routine work in operating motorized equipment and performing related manual tasks. Operates a variety of equipment used by the County for maintenance and construction. May also service and make minor repairs to equipment. When not operating equipment, performs a variety of manual tasks related to the operation of the equipment, such as loading and unloading trucks and performs maintenance and repair at County or Storm-water facilities. Performs other duties as assigned.
Motor Equipment Operator II General Statement of Duties:
Operates tandem dump trucks and heavy or specialized equipment used in the construction and maintenance of storm water facilities. Performs heavy manual labor required to complete assigned projects. Operates trash pumps during flooding conditions to help prevent property loss due to flooding. Responsible for insuring equipment is properly serviced and maintained and makes minor repairs as needed. Assume duties of storm water foreman as needed and perform other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Motor Equipment Operator I:
- Operates a dump truck and other equipment, such as a backhoe, skid-steer loader, and a trencher used to transport dirt, gravel and other materials.
- Operates a sewer jet and power cable rodders to clean sewer lines.
- Operates power mowers, weed-eaters, chippers and related equipment used to maintain storm-water facilities.
- Operates a large capacity mower and tractors with implements.
- When not operating heavy equipment, performs manual tasks related to the operation of the equipment.
- Operates electric and gas-powered tools such as saws, drills, tampers and wrenches.
- Applies fertilizer, week-killers and other compounds.
- Performs routine driver maintenance using a checklist.
- Assists in loading and unloading transported material and equipment.
- Subject to twenty-four (24) hour call and may work varied shifts as assigned.
- Performs park-related maintenance and repair.
- Performs manual labor for storm-water construction projects.
- Operates a tandem dump truck used for hauling materials and transporting equipment.
- Performs routine pre-trip DOT inspection.
- Operates heavy and small equipment used to maintain and construct storm water facilities and to remove snow.
- Operates a variety of power tools to include chain saws, pipe saws, mowers, weed trimmers, aerator, drills, dampers, augers, pumps, and wood working tools
- Performs heavy manual labor needed for construction of storm water projects, snow removal, debris clearing in creeks and streams
- Assists in the supervision of contract work crews or employees
- Reads maps, plans and performs basic surveying for the construction of drainage facilities
- Ensures that proper safety procedures are being used
- Provides information to foreman or MEO III about employee performance
- Performs rough and finished carpentry, concrete and masonry work
- Services and makes repairs to equipment as needed
- Subject to twenty-four (24) hour stand by and may occasionally work varied schedule and/or extended shifts as assigned
- Establish and maintain cordial relationships with residents and the public that are impacted by County activities
- Follow and enforce proper safety procedures
- EducationPreferred: High school diploma or equivalent.ExperienceRequired: Some experience in the operation of motorized equipment.Certifications/ LicensesRequired: Class A commercial driver's license with an air brake certification and have a good driving record.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsSubject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of operating and servicing trucks and other construction and maintenance equipment; and of traffic rules and regulations.
- Ability to operate several types of trucks and construction equipment; make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment; follow oral and written instructions; perform 24 hour on-call responsibilities and work varied shifts as assigned; and to perform other duties as assigned when not operating equipment.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership