Motor Equipment Operator I (Open Until Filled)
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs routine work in operating motorized equipment and manual skilled and semi-skilled labor such as laying out and marking fields for various sports, carpentry, painting and masonry repairs. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Operates trucks, trailers, and other medium to large equipment used to maintain facilities, parks and grounds
• Operates a variety of equipment used by the County for maintenance and construction
• Operates power mowers, weed-eaters, chippers and related equipment used to maintain facilities, parks, and grounds
• Operates a large capacity mower and tractors with implements
• When not operating equipment, performs manual tasks related to the operation of the equipment
• Operates electric and gas-powered tools such as saws, drills, tampers and wrenches
• Applies seed, fertilizer, and other turf amendments
• Performs routine driver maintenance using checklists
• Performs manual tasks of routine park maintenance and game preparation for sport fields
• Performs skilled tasks and labor in the construction and maintenance of pavilions, playgrounds, hardscapes , or other related park improvements
• Performs snow removal related tasks and is subject to 24 hour on call for snow removal or standby for county declared emergencies
NON-ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• May perform worksite supervision of temporary workers
• May service and make minor repairs to equipment
• Assists in loading and unloading transported material and equipment
Education Preferred: High school diploma or equivalent.
Experience Required: Some experience in the operation of motorized equipment.
Certifications/ Licenses Required: Good driving record and ability to obtain a Class A commercial driver’s license with an air brake certification within first 6 months of employment.
Additional Requirements Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Supervisory
May perform worksite supervision of temporary workers
- OTHER INFORMATION
Part-time employees are not eligible for employee benefits.
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
- Twelve paid holidays
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
- Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Credit Union Membership
- Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match