Master Deputy Sheriff II - Medical (Open Until Filled)
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs responsible work assisting a physician in the medical care of inmates at the County Jail. Provides both routine and emergency medical care. Performs other duties as assigned. This position is eligible for the Sheriff Department's Career Development Path.
Must be certified as an EMT-B or higher. Salary range depends on level of experience and Jailor Certification through DCJS.
Applicants must read Applicant Letter & Disqualifiers here: http://roanokecountyva.gov/DocumentCenter/View/5794
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Administers preliminary physical examinations.
- Assists physician in conducting sick calls.
- Administers medications and treatments.
- Maintains a system of medical files and records.
- Interviews new inmates to identify and evaluate any special problems.
- Takes blood samples, urine specimens, smears, and other samples or specimens.
- Completes reports and medical forms.
- Maintains control over medicines and supplies.
- Schedules appointments for inmates.
- Administers emergency treatment to inmates.
- Maintains inventory of medical instruments and equipment.
- Coordinates special diets of inmates with kitchen staff.
- Works closely with correctional staff members.
- Keeps abreast of current developments in the field of medicine.
- Performs duties of a Deputy Sheriff-Corrections Division
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- EducationRequired: High school diploma or equivalent.ExperienceRequired: Some experience involving medical care.Certifications/ LicensesRequired: Certification as a Commonwealth of Virginia Emergency Medical Technician Certification (EMT-B) or be licensed in the State of Virginia as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) or Registered Nurse (RN). Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsMust be a citizen of the United States, at least twenty-one (21) years of age, and complete the minimum training standards required by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services. Subject to a complete criminal background investigation. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.Supervisory ResponsibilitiesNone.
- Good knowledge of the common medical practices, procedures, and techniques used in administering standard physical examinations, drugs, related treatments and first aid; procedures used in conducting the preliminary diagnosis of medical problems; and of the security procedures, rules and regulations of the County Jail.
- Ability to take samples and administer medications and treatments; administer preliminary physical examinations; work well with inmate patients; accurately follow detailed oral and written instructions; maintain a detailed system of records and files; and to work well with correctional staff members.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership