- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Roanoke County Public Library is hiring part-time Library Assistants to help us as we move forward on the path to returning to full service. Staff hired for these positions will be primarily located at either Bent Mountain or Mt. Pleasant libraries, but may be scheduled at any location within the system. Join our team in providing excellent customer service to our patrons and help us in our vision to be a source for connection, inspiration, and exploration.
Performs a wide variety of general library work in public services, youth services, acquisitions, or technical services. Responsible for routine activities associated with the operations of a public library. May be assigned anywhere within the system to meet staffing needs. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Library Assistants perform a wide variety of tasks related to the unit in which they are assigned. Employees may be asked to perform some, or all, of the following tasks depending upon assignment.
- Assists patrons in the use of the library and the materials collection
- Provides service at the circulation desk by: registering borrowers, charging, renewing, or discharging materials, placing requests, handling reference and reader's advisory questions, managing computer reservations, providing assistance with public computer workstations, receiving the payment of fines and fees, etc.
- Provides procedural guidance and task supervision on a regular basis, including the proper execution of closing and opening routines, serves as senior member in charge of a facility or division for various shifts and for any period when needed
- Assists the professional staff in the operation of the Library
- Helps train and supervise new, subordinate or part-time staff, as needed
- Plans and delivers adult or children's programming
- Provides individual and group computer and database instruction
- Reconciles shipments of materials with invoices and prepares items for catalogers
- Enters item records in automated catalog. Checks items against OCLC database. Resolves issues with previously processed items
- Processes items, including creating spine labels, making and applying various stickers, wrapping books, stamping materials with appropriate markings and addresses
- Repairs items as necessary, and withdraws materials when necessary
- Provides an accounting of materials budget balances as needed
- Participates in team or system projects
- Conducts searches in a bibliographic utility source for MARC records
- Performs copy cataloging, updates holdings, and helps maintain the accuracy and timeliness of the consortium database
- Participates in community outreach activities
- Recommends materials for collection development
- EducationRequired: High school diploma or equivalent supplemented by college level courses or business school training.
Preferred: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.ExperiencePreferred: Some experience working with the public in a customer service environment.Certifications/LicensesNone requiredKnowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsSubject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.Supervisory Responsibilities
- Good knowledge of the standard procedures, practices and equipment of a public Library, and of English, spelling and arithmetic
- General knowledge of literature and other materials of interest to the public, and of a variety of standard library techniques
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions in the performance of routine tasks
- Ability to interact successfully with patrons of all ages
- Ability to develop a working knowledge of automated systems and related appropriate databases
- Ability to perform primary operational responsibility for various functions, divisions, and facilities on a routine basis
- Ability to direct the activities of subordinate staff
- Skill in typing preferred
- May provide direction to part time staff
- Trains and supervises volunteers
- OTHER INFORMATION
Part-time employees are not eligible for employee benefits.
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
- Twelve paid holidays
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
- Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Credit Union Membership
- Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match