- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs responsible recreation service work observing and controlling the proper use of aquatic facilities. Follows all protocols established by Ellis & Associates. Ensures a safe aquatic facility while providing a high level of customer service. Supervision is exercised over employees involved in the day to day operations of aquatics programs and services. Ensures that all standards and policies are followed. Ensures State and local health department regulations are met. Does related work as required.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Remains current with required certifications and Ellis lifeguarding license.
- Focuses aquatics staff team on customer service and provides and implements high customer service standards.
- Maintains safety and operational standards for aquatics operations according to Ellis and Associate standards. Fills out hourly and bi-hourly pool maintenance checklists and sheets. Ensures facility is clean and safe.
- Recruits, trains, schedules, supervises and evaluates part time, seasonal, and volunteer aquatic staff.
- Evaluates and orders equipment as needed to maintain the quality of the programs and the center.
- Performs routine maintenance on pool equipment and identifies capital equipment and capital maintenance needs for aquatic areas.
- Works with Aquatics Manager and Aquatics Programmer to maintain records of aquatics operations meeting the requirements of State Health Department, County Health Department, OSHA, and Roanoke County Parks, Recreation & Tourism.
- Ensures proper maintenance of pool water balance and sanitation.
- Tests pool chemicals and maintains proper water chemistry.
- Produces regular communications to customers through e-mails, bulletin boards, newsletters, surveys, and promotional notices.
- Interacts spontaneously with members, guests, and part-time staff at any given time in the facility to model a personal and inviting atmosphere for the facility.
- Follows and enforces E&A Lifeguarding protocols.
- Maintains a safe and secure area by promoting and enforcing facility rules, policies, and procedures.
- Attends and administers monthly staff meetings and in-service training sessions.
- EducationRequired: Possess an Ellis and Associates lifeguarding license and completion of Basic Leadership Training through Ellis and Associates as appropriate (licensing and training available at Green Ridge Recreation Center)ExperiencePreferred: Two or more years of lifeguarding experience and some supervisory experienceCertifications/LicensesRequired: Ellis and Associates lifeguardingKnowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsMust be 18 years of age or older. Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Good physical condition. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination or test. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and some holidays.SupervisoryResponsibilitiesSupervise some part time staff
- Knowledge of aquatics.
- Observation skills.
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with employees, customers and the general public.
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing, to wide variety of staff and customers.
- Ability to multi-task handling high volume of business demands and service requests received each day.
- Ability to have a realistic view of time needed to accomplish assignments and projects and plan accordingly.
- Awareness of risk management issues as related to the delivery of aquatic services.
- OTHER INFORMATION
- OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMANDHeavyLift and/or exert force up to 50 lbs. frequently, 10 lbs continuously, or insignificant amounts constantly OR requires walking or standing to a significant degree. Able to swim 200 yards, tread water for 2 minutes without use of hands, and must be able to retrieve a brick from a depth of 14 feet of water.PHYSICAL DEMANDSC = Continuously5.5 to 8+ hours dailyF = Frequently2.5 to 5.5 hours dailyO = OccasionallyUp to 2.5 hours dailyR = RarelyLess than 1 hour per weekN = NeverNever occursCodePhysical DemandCodePhysical DemandCStandingCSittingCWalkingFLiftingFCarryingOPushing/PullingFReachingOHandlingOFine DexterityOKneelingFCrouchingOCrawlingFBendingOTwistingOClimbingOBalancingCVision (Appropriate Correction Required)CHearingCTalkingOFoot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc.)ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORSD = DailyW = Several Times Per WeekM = Several Times Per MonthS = SeasonallyR - RarelyN = NeverCodeHealth and SafetyCodeEnvironmental FactorsDMechanical HazardsSDirt and DustDChemical HazardsDExtreme TemperaturesDElectrical HazardsDNoise and VibrationMFire HazardsDFumes and OdorsNExplosivesDWetness/HumidityDCommunicable DiseasesRDarkness or Poor LightingRPhysical Danger or AbuseDOther (specify) Underwater PressurePRIMARY WORK LOCATIONIndoor and Outdoor Pool, Pump Room, Pool Chemical Rooms.MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDSPool Pump Room equipment, computers, telephones, office equipment, recreational, fitness and aquatic equipment.PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREDAs applicable to activities involved.
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.