- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs routine work in supervising participants and monitoring activities in gymnasiums. Provides facility set-up and break-down in accordance with programming and events and performs light cleaning duties. Does related work as required.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
?Making sure no drinks or food enter the gymnasiums?Enforcing program block times?Making sure no foul language or other obscene behavior occurs?Enforcing dress / proper athletic footwear code?Prohibiting hanging on the basketball rims?Ensuring that children 8 and under are under the direct supervision of a guardian 16 years of age or older
- Supervises gymnasium participants and spectators.
- Enforces all rules and regulations of gymnasiums, including but not limited to:
- Ensures that all programs and events during shift are executed and monitored.
- Operates scoreboard and manages team play during adult pickup times.
- Ensures the safety and well-being of all guests in the gymnasiums in accordance with facility policies.
- Interacts with participants as needed to maintain a positive environment and provide excellent customer service.
- Removes offending users from the gymnasium per facility policies which could include calling Roanoke County Police Department (911) for assistance, depending on the severity of the situation.
- Performs light cleaning duties to ensure the gymnasium is clean and in good working condition.
- Keeps track of and secures gym equipment.
- Monitors all entrances and exits.
- Wears staff shirts provided by Roanoke County Parks, Recreation and Tourism.
- Completes tracking report each shift.
- EducationRequired: Graduation from High school or equivalent.Preferred: Knowledge of sports events and rules.ExperienceRequired: Some experience working with diverse groups and individuals and supporting community recreation activitiesPreferred: Supervisory experienceCertifications/LicensesRequired: CPR, First Aid, and AED certificationsKnowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsSubject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and some holidays. Must be 18 years of age or older. Required to attend all mandatory training given by facility staff.SupervisoryResponsibilitiesNone - no staff assigned
- Some knowledge of organized athletics and recreation center procedures
- Some knowledge of basketball play and scorekeeping
- Ability to communicate and enforce center policies
- Ability to resolve conflict among participants and spectators
- Ability to maintain accounts involving mathematical computations.
- Ability to follow oral and written direction and work procedures.
- Ability to take initiative as well as follow-thru.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with gymnasium participants, spectators, and general public
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Ability to perform set-up and break-down of programs and events in gymnasium
- OTHER INFORMATION
- OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMANDMODERATELift and/or exert force up to 50 lbs. occasionally, 10 lbs frequently, or insignificant amounts constantly OR requires walking or standing to a significant degree.PHYSICAL DEMANDSC = Continuously5.5 to 8+ hours dailyF = Frequently2.5 to 5.5 hours dailyO = OccasionallyUp to 2.5 hours dailyR = RarelyLess than 1 hour per weekN = NeverNever occursCodePhysical DemandCodePhysical DemandFStandingRSittingFWalkingOLiftingOCarryingOPushing/PullingOReachingOHandlingOFine DexterityRKneelingOCrouchingRCrawlingOBendingOTwistingRClimbingRBalancingCVision (Correction Required)CHearingCTalkingRFoot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc.)ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORSD = DailyW = Several Times Per WeekM = Several Times Per MonthS = SeasonallyR - RarelyN = NeverCodeHealth and SafetyCodeEnvironmental FactorsMMechanical HazardsSDirt and DustRChemical HazardsRExtreme TemperaturesRElectrical HazardsDNoise and VibrationNFire HazardsMFumes and OdorsNExplosivesRWetness/HumidityRCommunicable DiseasesRDarkness or Poor LightingRPhysical Danger or AbuseOther (specify)PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONGymnasiumMACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDSComputers, telephones, office equipment, recreational, fitness and sports equipmentPROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREDAs applicable to activities involved.
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.