Group Fitness Instructor
Roanoke County Roanoke, VA Full-time Education
Posted on February 7, 2024
Teaches classes for the members and participants of Green Ridge Recreation Center. Maintain a safe and controlled atmosphere to ensure a high quality program that meets the standards of the department. Perform other duties as assigned.
*The position is located at Green Ridge Recreation Center**
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Teaches safe and fun land based group exercise classes.
- Ensures that all the participants in the class are engaged in the class and that the class abides by industry standards.
- Motivates all class participants to accomplish their goals and keep coming to the classes.
- Interacts spontaneously with members, guests, and center staff at any given time in the facility to model a personal and inviting atmosphere for the facility.
- Stays current on industry trends and how they may influence or affect the group exercise programming.
- Starts and ends classes on time and returns all equipment to proper location.
- Recommends new and/or replacement equipment for areas.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with employees, contractors, customers, and the general public.
- Fosters a team environment through daily work habits and a positive attitude.
- Actively participate in meetings to keep informed of facility issues and information.
|Required: Education or training resulting in one or more certifications from National Fitness Organizations in Group Exercise, Health, Fitness, or Wellness group exercise programming and instruction.
|Required: At least one (1) year of experience in teaching/instructing group exercise classes.
Preferred: Three (3) or more years of experience teaching/instructing classes or supervising a group exercise program.
|Required: Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.
Current CPR, First Aid, and AED certification.
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
|Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Good physical condition. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and some holidays.
|OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMAND
|Lift and/or exert force up to 50 lbs. occasionally, 10 lbs frequently, or insignificant amounts constantly and requires walking or standing to a significant degree.
|C = Continuously
5.5 to 8+ hours daily
|F = Frequently
2.5 to 5.5 hours daily
|O = Occasionally
Up to 2.5 hours daily
|R = Rarely
Less than 1 hour per week
|N = Never
|Vision (Correction Required)
|Foot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc.)
|D = Daily
|W = Several Times Per Week
|M = Several Times Per Month
|S = Seasonally
|R - Rarely
|N = Never
|Health and Safety
|Dirt and Dust
|Noise and Vibration
|Fumes and Odors
|Darkness or Poor Lighting
|Physical Danger or Abuse
|PRIMARY WORK LOCATION
|Group Exercise Rooms, office environment, entire recreation center.
|MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDS
|Computers, office equipment, and operate sound equipment which includes starting and shutting down the equipment properly.
|PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIRED
|As applicable to activities involved.
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.
County of Roanoke Virginia
5204 Bernard Drive
Roanoke, Virginia, 24018