Group Exercise Instructor
Roanoke County Roanoke, VA Full-time Health Care Provider
Posted on October 1, 2021
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
- Serves as an instructor on a seasonal/occasional, contractual or hourly basis. Maintains a safe and controlled atmosphere to ensure a high quality program that meets the standards of the department. Leads a series of recreation programs in diverse areas with minimal supervision. Duties are performed under the direct supervision of the Recreation staff. Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience teaching high-intensity interval training preferred.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Teaches group classes for designated subject or program.
- Ensures that all the participants in the class are engaged in the class and that the class abides by established standards.
- Motivates all class participants to accomplish their goals and keep coming to the classes.
- Interacts spontaneously with members, guests, and center staff at any given time in the facility to model a personal and inviting atmosphere for the facility.
- Stays current on recreation trends and how they may influence or affect assigned programming area.
- Starts and ends classes on time and returns all equipment to proper location.
- Recommends new and/or replacement equipment for areas.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with employees, contractors, customers, and the general public.
- Fosters a team environment through daily work habits and a positive attitude.
- Actively participate in meetings to keep informed of facility issues and information.
- EducationRequired: Education or training in the assigned area of programming and instruction.ExperienceRequired: Some experience in teaching/instructing groups.Preferred: Three (3) or more years of experience teaching/instructing classes.Certifications/LicensesPreferred: Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.Current CPR, First Aid, and AED certification.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsSubject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Good physical condition. Following a conditional offer of employment, may be required to pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.Must be willing to work a flexible schedule including nights, weekends and some holidays. Minimum age 16.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of group instruction.
- Knowledge of community recreation program needs.Ability to plan, schedule and coordinate group recreation classes.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with employees, customers and the general public.
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing, to wide variety of staff and customers.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.