- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Perform responsible operational duties. Responsible for a variety of tasks, some of which are performed under emergency conditions and may involve considerable personal hazard. Engages directly in fire fighting; rescue and fire prevention activities; drives and operates fire and rescue equipment; performs maintenance of building and grounds; tests and repairs emergency apparatus and equipment in preparation for emergency calls; and performs basic life support care. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Works at fire station and responds to calls for fire equipment.
- Engages directly in fire suppression activities and non-fire related emergencies.
- Performs rescue work for life and property protection.
- Applies emergency care and treatment to injured persons.
- Drives and operates ambulance as well as providing emergency care
- Maintains and repairs fire and rescue apparatus and equipment; tests and inspects equipment.
- Drives and operates fire and rescue apparatus.
- Make periodic inspections of buildings for fire hazards.
- Keeps records and makes reports.
- Keeps abreast of current techniques by participating in training and instruction programs.
- May act as Station Officer in his or her absence, after a minimum of two years with Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department.
- Must adhere to all applicable Roanoke County and Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department policies and procedures.
- Aids in cleaning station house.
- Presents fire prevention and emergency medical safety to general public.
- EducationRequired: High school diploma or equivalent.ExperiencePreferred: Training in fire and emergency medical.Certifications/ LicensesRequired: Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license, have a good driving record not to exceed negative three (-3) demerit points, and comply with state regulations covering drivers of emergency vehicles (includes successful completion of a provided Emergency Vehicle Operators Course). Must possess or become certified in accordance with National Fire Protection Association Standard 1001 for Firefighter Level II and Virginia Department of Health Emergency Medical Technician at completion of provided recruit academy. Must maintain all required licenses/ certifications.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsMust be twenty-one (21) years of age; successfully complete a physical agility test; and be in excellent physical condition and maintain good physical fitness standards. Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.Supervisory ResponsibilitiesNone
- General knowledge of methods and techniques involved in fire fighting.
- Knowledge of the street and road system and the physical layout of the County.
- Ability to work well with other employees; follow oral and written instructions promptly and effectively; quickly become familiar with modern fire fighting methods and procedures; become proficient at operating emergency apparatus and equipment; keep abreast of current developments by participating in continuing training and instruction programs; keep routine records and prepare reports; and to have an aptitude for mechanical work.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership