- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
This position serves as an evaluator or instructor for fire/EMS Training. Personnel in this position should be able to effectively communicate lesson plans in a variety of settings to include classroom and practical settings.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- The ability to communicate in both oral and written forms to students.
- Provide Fire/EMS training instruction to new recruits both volunteer and career.
- Prepare lesson plans for both didactic and practical settings.
- Provide support to training and administrative staff during practical testing.
- Assess potential applicants during promotional assessment centers.
- Maintain accurate class records and personal records as they pertain to documenting hours worked.
- Must adhere to all applicable Roanoke County and Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department polices and procedures.
- EducationRequired: Current Virginia Department of Fire Programs Instructor 1 certification or higher, graduation from high school or the equivalent.Preferred: Current Virginia Department of Fire Programs Instructor 2 Certification, Associates Degree or higher from an Accredited College or University. Current Virginia Emergency Medical Technician –Basic Certification.ExperienceRequired: Three years of documented experience in the fire service as a firefighter or above.Preferred: Three years of documented experience as a certified fire instructor. Five years of documented experience in the fire service as a firefighter and three years documented experience as a fire officer.Certifications/ LicensesRequired: Current Virginia Department of Fire Programs Instructor 1.Valid Virginia Drivers License with zero points or positive points.Additional RequirementsSubject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Good physical condition. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.Supervisory ResponsibilitiesSupervise students while in training
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership