Family Services Specialist
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs responsible professional work supporting and assisting clients with personal, social, health and economic needs. Effectively provides services to any client population the department may serve. Manages a caseload in a specialized area or may be required to manage multiple case types using the application of social casework methods and within the context of program laws, regulations and policies. Effectively assesses families and individuals, identifies appropriate interventions, develops service plans, mobilizes resources to meet established goals and objectives and evaluates effectiveness of services. General supervision is given to provide regular oversight of work activities. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Interviews and observes clients and collaterals to assess client strengths and needs
- Develops, writes and implements service plans with goals, objectives and target dates appropriate to the situation
- Engages client/family in a helping relationship and arranges for appropriate services
- Documents activities and rationale for contacts and services
- Receives, documents, and investigates referrals of suspected child or adult abuse and collaborates with supervisor for any necessary actions and resolution
- Recruits, assesses, and trains resource homes in foster care, adult services or child daycare programs
- Conducts home studies in accordance with department guidelines
- Prepares various professional written reports and documents
- Works in a team environment
- Works outside of normal working hours and serves in an on-call status as assigned and approved by the supervisor
- Uses computer programs to document work and search for information
- Assists in meeting emergency needs for food, clothing and shelter for walk-in clients
Required: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a degree in the Human Services field as defined by the Code of Virginia (includes social work, counseling, psychology, sociology, gerontology, criminal justice and family and child development).
Preferred: Some experience in family services work.
Required: Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of social work principles and practices necessary for advising clients and delivering services in a public welfare setting.
- Knowledge of human behavior.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with clients, coworkers and other human services workers in the community.
- Ability to assess individual and family strengths and needs in areas such as health, housing, income, employment and education; identify and implement intervention strategies appropriate to the assessed strengths and needs of individual or family; identify and utilize other DSS and community program/ resources to assist an individual or family in meeting identified goals and objectives.
- Ability to effectively utilize interviewing and communication skills to respond to client emotions and engage them in a helping relationship.
- Ability to testify accurately in court
- Ability to plan and manage assigned work.
- Ability to write professional reports, correspondence, and narrative.
- Skill in the use computer hardware and software.
- Ability to interpret and apply laws, policies and regulations in order to provide services appropriately.
- Ability to work outside normal working hours to include being on call for emergencies twenty-four hours a day, including weekend and holidays.
Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description
- OTHER INFORMATION
Part-time employees are not eligible for employee benefits.
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
- Twelve paid holidays
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
- Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Credit Union Membership
- Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match