Facilities ManagerRoanoke County
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs advanced professional and administrative duties while being responsible for the operation, maintenance, and repair of all Roanoke County buildings and facilities. Includes supervision of staff in building maintenance, custodial services, and coordination of the work for contracted services. Facilitates customer service, process improvements, strategic planning, productivity measurement and life-cycle cost analysis. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develops and maintains comprehensive facility management and capital project plans for County facilities that incorporates facility/component condition factors, life-cycle projections, and cost analysis.
- Oversees the operation and maintenance of varied and complex mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems (MEP).
- Directs the work of facilities and housekeeping staff; and manages the use of contracted resources.
- Functions as a liaison for County Departments and Vendors for facility operations and regularly engages stakeholders.
- Manages and repairs integral and complex systems to include: computerized access control hardware/software systems; fire alarm systems; security systems; camera systems; large facility back-up generators; and battery back-up systems.
- Coordinates a formal facilities condition assessment with an independent professional firm every 7-10 years as required by the County's Financial Policy; utilizes the data as a strategic planning tool for allocating capital resources; and ensures the assessment software platform is managed in between formal assessments to account for work completed and known condition changes.
- Establishes and utilizes key metrics and subsequent reporting for areas of responsibility.
- Develops comprehensive short and long term capital maintenance plans and budgets.
- Provides scope development, feasibility analysis, design input, and project management for County capital construction and facility related projects.
- Coordinates scheduling and completion of assigned projects.
- Develops and oversees a detailed preventive maintenance program related to facilities and related components.
- Coordinates the maintenance and repair of assigned vehicles with the fleet center.
- Develops and conducts employee safety and training programs with the County's Risk Manager.
- Participates in applicable peer organizations to assist in the determination of "best practice".
- Manages multiple operating and capital budgets.
- Facilitates necessary architectural, engineering and facility related contracts.
- Administers all functions of the facilities and housekeeping staff to include hiring, training, scheduling, supervising, performance evaluation and disciplinary processes.
- Inspects facilities regularly.
- Manages the development of specifications for systems and components to strategically implement operational and budget efficiencies.
Required: Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in public administration, public works, architecture, engineering, or a related field or combination of training, education, and considerable experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the work described
Required: Considerable full-time experience in the management and strategic planning of facilities or a related field.
Required: Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of construction, building maintenance, project management, property management and shop services.
- Strong computer operations skills (MS Office, BAS systems, facility management software).
- Demonstrated knowledge of varied and complex HVAC systems and components to include: Variable Air Volume (VAV) systems; Constant Air Volume (CAV) systems; Variable Refrigerant Volume (VRV) systems; chillers; boilers; roof top units; split units; heat pumps; cooling towers; humidification/de-humidification systems; ventilation/fresh air systems; and other systems/equipment and components that serve a wide variety of facilities and functions.
- Knowledge of MEP building controls and energy management computerized software systems.
- Ability to supervise, plan, train, direct, and develop employees.
- Ability to comprehend technical instructions, site plans, construction drawings and specifications, and other documents related to Architecture, Engineering and Construction.
- Knowledge of public administration practices and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of complex and varied facilities and systems and the safety practices, methods, materials, and tools utilized for maintenance and repair operations.
- Ability to effectively develop and manage multiple operating and capital budgets.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, organize and direct services; complete assigned projects; and monitor performance and objectives.
- Knowledge demonstrated by having any of the following certifications is helpful: Certified Facility Manager (CFM), Certified Professional Property Specialist (CPPS), Certified Professional Property Administrator (CPPA), Certified Professional Property Manager (CPPM), Certified Residential/Commercial Property Manager (CRPM), Facilities Management Administrator (FMA), Systems Maintenance Administrator (SMA) or Professional Engineer (PE).
Following a conditional offer of employment must pass a post offer physical examination. Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work-related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
Directs the work of a medium size full-time staff of professional, technical, support and skilled workers related to facilities and housekeeping and a larger staff of part-time employees solely related to housekeeping
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Eleven paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership