EMT-B (PT) (Non-Fire Supression)Roanoke County
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs responsible protective services work responding to calls involving EMS and rescue by using basic emergency life support and stabilization procedures at the scene of an accident or illness and during transport to medical facilities. Drives and operates rescue vehicles; assists in the maintenance and repair of stations and equipment. Must work well with the other emergency services and fire personnel often under hazardous and stressful conditions, responding promptly to directions given by the on-site supervisor. Performs other duties as assigned. This is a non-fire suppression position
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Works at stations responding to calls for emergency assistance.
- Provides emergency medical services using basic emergency life support and stabilization procedures at the scene of the accident or illness and during transport to medical facilities.
- Performs rescue from life-threatening situations and assists in the protection of the property.
- Drives and operates equipment on emergency vehicles, including the replenishing of supplies and required vehicle maintenance following a call.
- Prepares and maintains records and reports on emergency responses and patient responses, including legal accountability.
- Through continuing training, keeps informed of the latest techniques in advanced life support.
- Provides emergency medical services training to schools, organizations and the public as requested.
- Monitors health, safety and the physical condition of personnel at fires or other hazardous sites.
- Operates medical radio equipment.
- Assists in routine maintenance of building and grounds at assigned stations.
- Must adhere to all applicable Roanoke County and Roanoke County Fire and Rescue Department policies and procedures.
- Aids in cleaning station house.
- Presents fire prevention and emergency medical safety to general public.
- EducationRequired: High school diploma or equivalent.ExperiencePreferred: Emergency medical services experience.Certifications/ LicensesRequired: Must possess a valid Virginia driver's license, have a good driving record, and comply with state regulations covering drivers of emergency vehicles. Must possess and maintain EMT-Basic certification.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsMust be twenty-one (21) years of age or older; successfully complete a physical agility test; and be in excellent physical condition and maintain good physical fitness standards. Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.Supervisory ResponsibilitiesNone
- Knowledge of the geographical layout of the County, including the street and road network.
- work well with others; follow oral and written instructions; keep complex incident reports; accept orders from telemetry radio personnel; and to have an aptitude for mechanical work.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.