Director of Economic Development (Open Until Filled)
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs complex professional and administrative work in coordinating and promoting the economic development activities of the County. Develops and implements the County’s economic development strategy and work program. Exercises considerable independent judgment in planning, organizing and coordinating an effort to market Roanoke County to industrial, commercial, and service businesses. Manages and oversees programs of an innovative and highly technical nature related to economic development. Provides leadership and direction to a professional economic development team. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Coordinates County Economic Development effort to compliment and mesh with State and Regional Economic Development objectives.
- Represents Roanoke County on regional committees, boards and commissions.
- Promotes development through personal contact with business and community leaders.
- Markets Roanoke County within and outside Virginia to encourage new businesses and industries to locate within Roanoke County.
- Leads and mentors professional staff in the planning and implementation of marketing, site development, and business retention and expansion programs.
- Prepares, analyzes and recommends economic development proposals on behalf of the County Administrator and Board of Supervisors.
- Responsible for general administration of the department including budgeting, staffing and delegation of responsibilities.
- Represents Roanoke County on a regional, state and national level for economic development projects.
- Attends state and national events to promote Roanoke County.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business or public administration or a related field. Be willing to complete (or have completed) the Basic Economic Development course and the Economic Development Institute sponsored by the International Economic Development Council.
Preferred: Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in business or public administration or a related field.
Required: Considerable experience in Managing Economic Development Departments and programs, planning, or public administration.
Preferred: Business development experience providing technical assistance to growing companies. Supervisory experience.
Required: Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record.
Preferred: CEcD designation by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of modern principles and practice of economic development; including industrial, commercial and real estate development; the principles and practices of community development and coordinating all aspects of a business location including zoning, development review, transportation, utilities, environmental considerations, and financing.
- Working knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration, site and building permitting, construction and civil engineering.
- Ability to maintain adequate records and provide meaningful reports; communicate effectively, orally and in writing, to both professional and nonprofessional groups and organizations; deal effectively and tactfully with prospects, County officials and the local community; prepare project schedules and manage projects.
- Reasoning ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to solve problems, interpret an extensive variety of technical information and incorporate several abstract and concrete variables. Ability to identify key stakeholders and create teams to solve complex issues. Ability to think strategically.
- Thorough knowledge of County and State tax structures as they apply to commercial and industrial activity.
- Ability to prepare, analyze and negotiate development proposals on behalf of the County Administrator and Board of Supervisors.
- Working knowledge of the businesses and community resources available in Roanoke County, as well as those resources offered by State and Federal offices and regional development organizations.
- Management of an economic development team to establish and implement an economic development strategy for the County.
- Fiscal Accountability: Oversee and manage the department budget, capital planning and asset development functions.
- Develop, oversee and manage publicly owned industrial property.
- Serve as the Secretary/Treasurer to the 10-member Economic Development Authority and manage highly complex and technical public-private financing partnerships.
- Provide leadership and guidance, and represent Roanoke County on numerous local and regional boards and committees impacting economic development.
- Key contributor to County public relations, community visioning, placemaking strategies and public asset creation.
Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. May be subject to DMV driving record review as required by amount of work-related driving, specified by support responsibilities. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
Manage a 3-4 member professional staff in implementing marketing, business attraction, retention and expansion programs
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership