Deputy Sheriff - School Resource Officer
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
To establish a pool of part time School Resource Officer Deputies that would work 30 to 35 hours per week during the school year. Daily work hours are 7:30AM - 2:30PM on days that school is in session. Work locations will be assigned after the applicant has been hired. Locations will be inside of Roanoke County at an Elementary School.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Provide safety and security to the students, staff, parents, and school grounds of the Roanoke County Public Schools. Establish and maintain a close partnership with school administrators in order to provide for a safe school environment. Be visible within the school community.
Law enforcement certification is required.
See list of disqualifiers: http://roanokecountyva.gov/index.aspx?NID=677
**Salary is dependent on years of prior service**
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Regularly conduct security sweeps inside and outside the school/school grounds.
- Attend and participate in school functions.
- Build working relationships with the school’s staff as well as with student and parent groups.
- Work closely with teachers in designing and presenting law-related topics and the role of law enforcement in our society.
- Initiate interaction with students in the classroom and general areas of the school building.
- Promote the profession of law enforcement and be a positive role model.
- Increase the visibility and accessibility of law enforcement to the school community.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: Some experience in public and personal contact work preferably related to law enforcement activities.
Required: Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge law enforcement procedures and processes
- Ability to cope with and handle interpersonal relationships; follow oral and written instructions; and to prepare records and reports.
Must be a citizen of the United States, twenty-one (21) years of age, and complete the minimum training standards required by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services. Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Part-time employees are not eligible for employee benefits.
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
- Twelve paid holidays
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
- Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Credit Union Membership
- Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match