Deputy Clerk to the Board of Supervisors
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The posting will remain open until filled. The first review of applications will be on August 15, 2022.
Performs complex secretarial, professional and responsible administrative work for the Chief Deputy Clerk to the Board of Supervisors and County Administration.
Ensures that a business-like environment is maintained, exercising tact and diplomacy when dealing with the public as well as confidence and maturity when dealing with diverse and complicated issues Takes initiative to maintain an interactive relationship with the Chief Deputy Clerk that anticipates and/or responds to administrative activities by attending to details and closure of tasks and projects. Confidentiality must be maintained at all times. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Chief Deputy Clerk with only an occasional review of work, methods, or results. As Deputy Clerk to the Board of Supervisors will assist the Chief Deputy Clerk with records management responsibilities and public access to official Roanoke County records. Works collaboratively with County departments on the preparation and presentation of reports to the Board. As required, ensures all Board records are appropriately prepared, indexed and preserved. As required, attend all regularly and specially called meetings of the Board of Supervisors. Performs other related duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Receives telephone inquiries and complaints from the public; ascertains nature of business; provides information to inquiries or directs callers to appropriate persons or offices.
- Researches and compiles information from a variety of sources. Collects data needed to respond to inquiries/complaints, and drafts replies.
- Composes correspondence appropriate to the need, creates informational, data base, research and other types of reports.
- Updates Internet and Intranet web pages
- Maintains and accurate and complex system of files and electronic data bases and researches files
- Assists other county employees to ensure functionality at all levels of the County
- Plans and assists with special events and programs, i.e. State of the County
- Attends both regularly scheduled and special meetings of the County Board, as required
- Schedules and coordinates meetings and activities for the Board of Supervisors
- Composes, types, reviews and distributes routine correspondence
- Assists in the preparation of agenda packets, including proofreading, preparation of board reports, proclamations and special resolution
- Assists with records management responsibilities and public access to official Roanoke County records.
- Assists the Administrative Assistant to the County Administrator, as required
- Processes approved invoices for payment
- Assumes the duties of the Chief Deputy Clerk, as required
Required: Associates degree in business administration, secretarial technology, office management, paralegal and/or related field with considerable experience in office management, and administrative support.
Required: Extensive and progressive administrative support experience supplemented by college courses in business administration, paralegal, secretarial technology, office management, or related field required OR combination of training, education and experience that demonstrates the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the work described.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated competency to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, employees of other localities and agencies, dignitaries and the public
- Comprehensive knowledge of office terminology and procedures
- Comprehensive knowledge of secretarial techniques
- Demonstrated ability to produce word-processing documents, reports and desk top publishing in a timely and accurate manner
- Comprehensive knowledge of business math, finance, spelling and English grammar
- Ability to write clearly, concisely, and effectively
- Ability to follow complex oral and written policies, procedures, and laws
- Ability to take initiative, exercise independent judgment, and prioritize assignments
- Ability to accomplish assigned tasks with a minimum of supervision
- Through knowledge of local government and the organization and function of the County's departments
- Familiarity with the County Code, County Policy Manual, and other informational resources
- Ability to perform administrative duties and to direct the activities of other employees; ability to maintain the confidentiality of information handled within the office.
Subject to complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership