Deputy Clerk I
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The position is in the Deeds and Land Records' Division. The DCI position in Deeds and Land Records' primary focus is to process/record all land related documents for Roanoke County properties. This position will assist in answering multiple phone lines and the public when they come into the office. Assist with the issuing of concealed handgun permits, marriage licenses, notaries and marriage rites, as needed. Perform responsible skilled clerical and technical work in the Office of the Circuit Court. Is deputized and administers oaths and conducts routine transactions on behalf of or in lieu of the Clerk of the Circuit Court. Performs other duties as assigned.
- EducationRequired: High school diploma or equivalent supplemented by business school or college level courses or training in business administration or a related field.ExperienceRequired: Some experience in legal field, court system, or related area.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsSubject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job descriptionSupervisory ResponsibilitiesNone
- Thorough knowledge of standard office terminology, procedures and techniques.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment including a personal computer and other information processing equipment, a computerized cash register, and video recording equipment
- Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with the public and other employees
- Ability to perform basic arithmetical computations
- Ability to read and understand legal documents
- Ability to follow oral or written instructions; learn various functions and operations of the Circuit Court; and to maintain the confidentiality of information handled within the office.
Part-time employees are not eligible for employee benefits.
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
- Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
- Twelve paid holidays
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Long Term Disability Insurance
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
- Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Credit Union Membership
- Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match