Courier - Library
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs responsible delivery and mail service work by transporting books, library materials, mail, packages, boxes, messages, equipment, or supplies (including surplus material). Responsible for some mail services. Performs other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Sorts, picks up, and distributes books, delivery boxes, documents, mail and inter-office messages
- Transports equipment and supplies to various locations
- Maintains the appearance and cleanliness of the delivery vans; takes vehicles for servicing at the County garage, as needed
- Assists in the moving and delivery of surplus material
- Substitutes for other library courier, as needed
- EducationRequired: High School diploma or equivalent.ExperiencePreferred: Some experience performing pick up and delivery services.Certifications/ LicensesRequired: Valid Virginia driver’s license with good driving record.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Additional RequirementsSubject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Following a conditional offer of employment, must pass a post offer physical examination. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.SupervisoryResponsibilitiesNone
- Ability to drive delivery vehicles up to 1-ton capacity; ability to receive and sort materials correctly and load a van in a logical pattern that expedites deliveries.
- Ability to collect, arrange and redistribute stacked materials in a book storage facility.
- Ability to acquire knowledge of the location of the various County and RVL consortium libraries and offices; understand oral and written instructions; use tact and courtesy in dealing with County employees and the public; and to lift and carry heavy boxes and materials.
- OTHER INFORMATION
- OVERALL PHYSICAL STRENGTH DEMANDMEDIUMLift and/or exert force of 20-50 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. frequently, or up to 10 lbs. constantly.PHYSICAL DEMANDSC = Continuously5.5 to 8+ hours dailyF = Frequently2.5 to 5.5 hours dailyO = OccasionallyUp to 2.5 hours dailyR = RarelyLess than 1 hour per weekN = NeverNever occursCodePhysical DemandCodePhysical DemandFStandingFSittingFWalkingFLiftingCCarryingFPushing/PullingCReachingFHandlingOFine DexterityFKneelingFCrouchingRCrawlingFBendingFTwistingOClimbingFBalancingCVision (Correction Required: N/A)CHearingFTalkingCFoot Controls (driving, operation of equip, etc.)ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORSD = DailyW = Several Times Per WeekM = Several Times Per MonthS = SeasonallyR - RarelyN = NeverCodeHealth and SafetyCodeEnvironmental FactorsRMechanical HazardsRDirt and DustRChemical HazardsSExtreme TemperaturesRElectrical HazardsRNoise and VibrationRFire HazardsRFumes and OdorsNExplosivesSWetness/HumidityRCommunicable DiseasesRDarkness or Poor LightingRPhysical Danger or AbuseOther (specify)PRIMARY WORK LOCATIONOffice and VehicleMACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, WORK AIDSVehicle, hand trucks, or light delivery equipmentPROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREDNone
Benefits are available to full-time positions only.