Community Engagement Librarian
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Performs professional, supervisory and administrative work directing the day-to-day operations of Mt. Pleasant, Bent Mountain branch libraries and operating the mobile library. Provides oversight and leadership for outreach and programs for the library system. Duties include maintaining the branch facilities, selecting, training, scheduling, and evaluating branch staff. Work includes making data-driven decisions in developing and implementing programs, services and special events to promote use of the branches. Serves on programming committees and collaborates with staff to ensure system-wide goals are being met. Assists in the development of partnerships and outreach opportunities. Works under the general supervision of the Assistant Director of Library Services. Assigned branch location is subject to change. Does related work as required.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Manages, supervises, and participates in all daily service and support operations within a branch; performs related basic level work as required
- Prepares reports and statistics
- Manages budget for outreach opportunities
- Manages branch budget for part-time staff and programs, provides budgetary input in the form of projected needs for personnel, programs, and equipment
- Assists in oversight of programming budget for library system
- Assists in oversight of the program schedule to ensure system wide use
- Works closely with supervisory personnel in all functional areas (e.g. children's, young adult, and adult services) and with the Administrative & Marketing Manager
- Participates actively in the development and application of system-wide policy and procedures
- Participates in community meetings and special events
Masters Degree in Library Science or Library/Information Sciences from an ALA-accredited college or university or a combination of experience and ability to complete MLS and acquire Library of Virginia Certification within one (1) year from date of hire.
Required: Considerable experience in professional library work or comparable public, retail, or technical service experience. Recent substantive training or accredited coursework in relevant areas may be an acceptable substitute for professional library experience, particularly when combined with other responsible retail, public or technical service experience.
Eligibility for professional certification from the Library of Virginia. Must possess a valid Virginia driver's license and have a good driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of professional library science and library management
- Ability to evaluate and manage evolving electronic resources, support products, and formats
- Ability to compile, organize, and report data
- Knowledge of practices and techniques used to ascertain and meet community needs for library
- Demonstrated ability to plan and deliver successful special events, and programs
- Ability to organize, manage and direct the work of teams or skilled subordinates
- Ability to interact effectively with the public and staff
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to remain composed when dealing with multiple priorities or with difficult situations or individuals, and adapt quickly to changing situations and varied work schedule
Subject to a complete criminal and Child Protective Service background search with acceptable results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Some evening and weekend work required.
Supervises an assigned group of employees. Carries out any supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Supervisory responsibilities include but are not limited to: training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; evaluating performance; and addressing and resolving complaints.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Twelve paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership