Communications Officer I
- GENERAL DESCRIPTION
Come join our 911 team! Through classroom and hands on training, we will teach you to listen to first responders on radio channels, talk to distraught callers and type life-saving information into our state of the art computer system. Because 911 never closes, we serve as a vital link between the citizens of Roanoke County and Vinton and other services provided, including utility companies.
You will perform technical work, ensuring the prompt answer of incoming emergency and non-emergency requests for police, Sheriff, fire and emergency medical services and for the timely and efficient dispatch of the appropriate units. You will monitor a variety of frequencies and serve as a vital link to the units deployed. This position is in a "trainee" capacity, learning the duties of the Communications Officer. You will perform other duties as assigned.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- The following duty and responsibility statements are illustrative of the essential functions of this position. The Director, Assistant Director and/or Chief of Emergency Communications have the management right to change the duties and functions of this position at any time
- Completes and maintains all testing, training, and certification as required by constituted authority or mandated by statute.
- Complies with Roanoke County ECC directives and all lawful orders of superiors.
- Uses work-time in an efficient manner, consistent with the mission, under minimal supervision.
- Performs the necessary functions to enter, delete and maintain information in the electronic data files.
- Works various assigned hours and shifts as required for continuous operation of the ECC.
- Performs job tasks effectively in a professional manner under varying levels of stress and activity.
- Monitors calls after the initial dispatch, including providing pre-arrival medical instructions to callers in accordance with Emergency Medical Dispatch guidelines.
- Monitors and updates activity of all on duty units via the Computer Aided Dispatch software.
- Remains alert to the conditions within the ECC at all times while on duty.
- Maintains and upgrades professional knowledge, skill and development by attending seminars, training programs and reading trade and professional journals and publications.
- Apprises the Team Leader of any training requirements, personnel or equipment issues
- EducationRequired: High School diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: Some experience
Upon hire, must become certified to operate the Virginia Criminal Investigative Network (VCIN) and the National Crime Information Center (NCIC).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Some knowledge of geographical streets, buildings, and jurisdictional boundaries.
- Skill operating all software and hardware related to performance of duties.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal staff, citizens, and other departmental staff in order to give and receive information in a courteous and professional manner.
- Some knowledge of police and fire safety tactics as they relate to communications.
- Some knowledge of the department organization and standard operating procedures.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and responsibilities as assigned.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality on all emergency and police matters.
- Ability to assess and prioritize emergency situations while remaining calm and using sound judgment.
- Ability to multitask during both routine and stressful situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, superiors, departments, other government entities and the general public.
- Ability to deal courteously and firmly with the general public in emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Serves a probationary period of twelve (12) months from the initial hire.
Subject to a complete criminal history background search with acceptable results. Must also be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description. Job requires shift work, shift rotation and overtime assignments.
- OTHER INFORMATION
Full-time employees are eligible for a comprehensive benefit package that includes:
• Progressive Flexible Leave Plan with cash-in option
• Eleven paid holidays
• Short Term Disability Insurance
• Long Term Disability Insurance
• Health, Vision and Dental Insurance
• Life Insurance
• Flexible Spending Accounts - Medical and Dependent Care
• Virginia Retirement System - Membership in VRS is automatic upon hire into a covered position. County contributes and employees pay their membership contribution.
• Deferred Compensation Plan with County Match
• Employee Assistance Program
• Credit Union Membership